Thread: "Easel" for Tiles

"Easel" for Tiles

I was in a store recently that had small (6"x6") painted ceramic tiles for sale. They were nice, but what I noticed was how they were displayed.

See the attached picture (which is a view of the back of the tile) and I will try to describe how the "easel" or stand was made for them.

On the back of this 6"x6" tile was glued a piece of MDF approximately 5.5"x5.5" and at the bottom was a hole that was vector cut in the MDF. Inside that vector cut hole was a small rectangle piece of MDF that swings out to act as a stand. There was a very thin nail or pin that was inserted through the edge of the MDF up through the vector cut hole and the MDF rectangle that allowed the rectangle to pivot. One other thing you could do is add a hole or two in the MDF near the top to allow the tile to be hung on a nail.

It seemed like a simple yet ingenious way to display tiles to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Thanks Steve - useful idea

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Indeed, thanks. I would guess that there must be some clearance allowed between the MDF and the tile for this to work well. I think I would cut the hanging hole with a sawtooth top like the picture hanging dealy-dos to help it hang straight. (I tend to get nervous around pictures that are crooked.)
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Easel Backs

I've had good success with Easel Backs from National Artcraft. They can stand or hang. Perfect sizes for 6x6 tiles. Attach with adhesive (E6000) or heavy duty melted glue stick.

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subc...d=82&scid=1576

Epilog Mini 24 35w / Corel X3

Thanks Steve,

It's always nice to have a variety of ways to resolve issues.

I have a customer who like the wood plaques but wants them to sit upright on the table. After some thought the easiest way was to burn the plaque with the hanger (keyhole) at the bottom. Then I cut a piece of wood roughly 1x2x.25 and inserted it into the keyhole simple and easy!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Thanks Steve,

It's always nice to have a variety of ways to resolve issues.

I have a customer who like the wood plaques but wants them to sit upright on the table. After some thought the easiest way was to burn the plaque with the hanger (keyhole) at the bottom. Then I cut a piece of wood roughly 1x2x.25 and inserted it into the keyhole simple and easy!

Marty
    Sort of a kickstand, if you will.

Great idea!

I also use easels from Gibson Holders - they are inexpensive and work really well. Add a dot com to the name and you're there.

Thanks for the idea!