Thread: Misc. Dust Collection Questions

Misc. Dust Collection Questions

Yeah, I know it's been discussed a lot, but I have a couple of dust collection questions for the group.

As a bit of background, I recently replaced my PSI DC-1BXL DC with a Delta 50-850 (new to me), with .1 micron shaker felt bags. My basement shop is approximately 13' x 23'. Major chip & dust producers are a Delta contractor's saw, a Delta 12" planer, a Powermatic 6" jointer, a Dewalt 705 12" CMS, and a home-made downdraft sanding table.

1. With my smaller DC, I had a trash can lid seperator as a first stage, and it worked pretty well. Dopey me, I let the guy who bought the DC talk me out of the seperator lid for about $5 less than it'll cost me to replace it. ( ) So, I'm wondering if any of you geniuses out there have ever built one of these things from scratch, for cheap? (And before you say it, no, a cyclone isn't in the budget right now.)

2. I've read all the comments that I really should run 6" pipe for my main runs, and it makes sense. However, I haven't found a source yet for 6" S&D PVC pipe. Any ideas (especially from you Atlanta-based folks)?

3. If I use 6" duct, I'll have to build a first stage collector, since the ready-made ones are made for 4" hose. I'm wondering if my metal trash can is going to be big enough?

Thanks!
    Sam/Atlanta

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up You Need a Leaf Blower!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12535

Sam!
    What you really need is a leaf blower .
    The pix in this thread is of a Jet separator, not too complicated in construction.
    I built a similar modal in a 5 gal bucket with a water bath to pre-filter sheet rock dust. Worked good.
    This modal from Jet just had a 90* elbow on the intake. I added the extension pipe to get the contaminated air away from exit side. Still under test.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

If your local retailers don't carry the S&D pipe, check in the yellow pages for irrigation suppliers and the like or commercial plumbing suppliers.

With 6" you couldn't use a 1st stage collector it would suck the chips right out of it. For 4" make a plywood or chip board circle that is about 1 1/2" smaller than the inside of your metal garbage can lid & cut a hole to fit a street L out close to the edge push the street L through & attack an elbow to the bottom of it direst it so the flow goes along the inside edge of the can put another hole in the middle for the exit to your DC & install another street L hot glue both into the plywood. put camper foam around the inside edge of the can lid to seal.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Yep, find an irrigation warehouse. I went to my local one and found 4 kinds of PVC in 6" x 20' sizes!

Be sure that whatever PVC you get, that you can use the S&D fittings. You'll find that Sch. 40 fittings are about 2x S&D fittings.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Bart:

Thanks! I hadn't realized that using 6" would suck the stuff right out of the 1st stage! I guess that solves one of my dillemas.

Re: the lid...1 1/2" smaller? So it's basically a press fit into the inside of the can? I had been kicking around the idea of making it a bit larger, then routing a groove near the edge so it would fit down over the lip of the garbage can.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, I still have the metal trash can lid, so I could just use that. Remove the handle, jig saw a couple of holes for 4" fittings, and off I go.
    Sam/Atlanta

Jim & Chris:

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can find an irrigation supplier who sells retail.
    Sam/Atlanta

Tyler:

I saw that thread earlier, and I have to admit that I had a good chuckle. I have the same leaf blower/sucker, and I have no doubt it works better as a dust collector.
    Sam/Atlanta

I have no doubt the 6" will move more air (everyone says so), and my 50-850 is capable of moving a lot. I stayed with 4" S&D and built a separator from a 30 (maybe 35) gallon drum using DC and PVC fittings. I have six different locations in my wife's garage, er, my shop to connect to a blast gate with flex hose. I'm satisfied that this collects enough of the dust, and also effectively keeps the larger chunks that may get sucked up out of the impeller. Probably less than 1/4 of the dust/chips gets past the separator and into the DC bag.

Sorry Chris, I still don't have the digital camera, but if needed I can find a way to post some pics.

Andy Haney