Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Engraving On Leather and Wood

3D Engraving On Leather and Wood

Greetings Everyone,

I was on Epilog's website and saw the 3D engraving on Wood. I would like know how to do 3D engraving on wood and leather.

1. Can anyone provide instructions on how to do this?

2. Where can I get 3D designs such as those shown on their site http://www.epilogfiles.com/web_gallery/3d/Album1.htm ? (basket weave, trapazoid, rope, french diamond, fish scale, diamond, etc)

3. Do you have a pattern that you would mind sharing for experimenting with?

4. Anyone have any experience with doing 3D on leather and finding patterns for leather?
    Chuck
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)

Chuck,

I think these were "in house" Epilog designs possibly for Epilog owners. I would suggest you contact Peck Sidera on here and ask him about them. I can't really help you with your ULS laser.....but with Epilog there is simply a choice in the print driver to engrave in 3D mode......and it works very well. Also, there are a few posts on here about using Corel to create 3D patterns. Also, I think Kern Lasers may have posted a 3D pattern on here.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I have the 3D option with my drivers on the ULS. Just need some assistance with knowledge/experience and design/art.
    Chuck
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)

Chuck, I can help you some with the ULS side of it. I'm working today and about to walk out the door, but when I get to a point where I have a few minutes, I'll get the information together for you. I'll contact you via PM when it's done, as it'll be too big to post here.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Some of those patterns are simply fills from corell draw. One way to get 3d files is to use photo paint or a similar program. I personelly use Photoimpact but you can take an image and turn up your brightness on your photo engrave it then turn the briteness down some engrave again and keep doing that untill you have what you want.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

3d works great on woods, esp hardwoods, but I dont think you'll get good results on leather. Once you burn through the treated outer surface of leather, you get soft, fiberous raw material that won't look clean or crisp.

3d parts designing works with the grey scale. Basically you are using the grey scales in the graphic to control the laser's power output, while speed remains constant. So for smooth transitions and contours use gradients in your graphic. Otherwise use solid shades for cutting at different depths like a router. You can also use color mapping for router type engraving at several depths, but the 3d does everything in a single pass.

3d is probably the most under utilized capability of the laser. I only got around to experimenting with it after owning my laser for 2 years. Its more art than science but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it works. I'm getting outstanding results with it.

Dee is our resident 3d expert. Over to you, Dee!

Dave
    Last edited by David Fairfield; 12-27-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Chuck,

Here's a simple exercise to get you started:
    -Draw a basic shape in black.
    -Use the contour tool to 'round' it (either to the inside or outside). You should have several gradients of gray.
    -Laser it and you will see that the darker shades cut deeper. To get deeper cuts, laser it a second time if needed.

For advanced control of your power settings, you can select 3D on your manual tab and individually control power on 16 levels of gray.

These are the very basic steps for creating 3-D objects or text.
    Last edited by Brian Jacobs; 12-27-2009 at 1:00 PM.
    Universal VLS2.30 - 30 watt (measures 42 watts - Yikes! So that's why all my photos are turning out white!)

Thank you for all the help.

Dave, as of this month, I have had my laser for two years and I am just getting around to experimenting with 3D. As for the leather, I was hoping that maybe the fish eye type design, used as a border, might not weaken the material. Guess once I figure out how to do 3D I will be able to report back the results.
    Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I am attaching a very small heart design for you to try. If you check my other 3D posts you will find some more complex designs but you can only post them once... just do a search on 3D and you should find them to download. Several others have had good success with 3D and you should read all the posts on this subject, it really helps!

I have found that you need to concentrate on using several levels of grey such as 10-30-50-70-90 to make the transitions in your drawings. Also, make sure there is strong contrast wherever you have an overlap or where you want a definite line. Once you do your design and figure out where to make adjustments, you should do well. Combine grey lines and grey areas to create the most detail. If there is a magic button to push, I have not found it.

Good luck and keep trying, it's not too hard once you get going. The original drawing is the hardest part for most people.

And in case you didn't know, Dave is being more than modest - his work will blow your mind!

cheers, dee

ps- I'm adding a picture so you can see what the finished thing looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 12-27-2009 at 9:04 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

There was a post here about 2 or 3 months ago of a Gun Stock that was Laser Engraved. He posted some of the Corel Files and He did it in separate files, the deeper ones he ran a few times.

Looked pretty sharp and I imagine it would work with Leather.

I have only begun to play with Leather.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 12-27-2009 at 8:20 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Chuck, I can help you some with the ULS side of it. I'm working today and about to walk out the door, but when I get to a point where I have a few minutes, I'll get the information together for you. I'll contact you via PM when it's done, as it'll be too big to post here.
    Please don't only do it PM, there are others of us looking for hints and tips.
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Yanke View Post
    Please don't only do it PM, there are others of us looking for hints and tips.
    Dave,

There are other reason for conducting certain transactions over PMs (such as transferring files one may not wish to be in the open public domain). Contact Steve (Scott) via PM yourself if you would like some personal help.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Does anyone know how this is done on a Vytek? I have a 5151 FXB that can do both vector and raster.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    Does anyone know how this is done on a Vytek? I have a 5151 FXB that can do both vector and raster.
    Save your file as an 8 bit gray-scale .bmp file and you are good to go. Of course, you still need a proper file like the one Dee was kind enough to post or a Gantry Co file.
    Jack

Just to make sure I understand this. We are talking about simple black to white gray scaling right? Typically I use 1 bit bmp files which simply means the darker the gray the more dots, the lighter the color less dots. So how is this different with the same gray scaling in an 8 bit bmp file? How will this give that deep 3d carved result? I am obviously missing something.... Does the 8 bit file change the power settings or is it sill just the number of dots that it changes? Thanks!