Thread: Front Porch Column Completed

Front Porch Column Completed

I finally completed the new column for our front porch. The column is made of cypress. This was also my first attempt at making cove molding on my table saw. I also included a photo of the porch how it looked before. You can see it was in great need of an upgrade. Thanks for looking.

PS. I made the screen door a few years ago as a Christmas present for my wife.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice Kev. I love the Door too!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hi Kevin, Really nice job on both the column and the door. While looking at the photo that shows the completed column and railing , I was wondering how it would look if you put another column against the brick wall. Then I thought that it would take up to much space. Then I thought that you could put up a column that is only half as wide. It might frame the door very nicely. Although with the column you would have to put another brace at the top. This might be a problem visually. All in all it looks great.
    Pete Lamberty

Looks good Kevin...I really like that screen door too!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Lamberty
    Hi Kevin, Really nice job on both the column and the door. While looking at the photo that shows the completed column and railing , I was wondering how it would look if you put another column against the brick wall. Then I thought that it would take up to much space. Then I thought that you could put up a column that is only half as wide. It might frame the door very nicely. Although with the column you would have to put another brace at the top. This might be a problem visually. All in all it looks great.
    Hi Pete, Thanks for your comments. I have thought about adding a half column to frame the door. I also thought that if I made another column and split it in half I could put one half at both sides of the porch opening with the one full column in the middle.
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

Kevin....I like both the column and the door! Great work!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Kevin, your column is much nicer and really adds a decorative touch to the front entrance. Nice job!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Kevin, the "after" is much preferable. Your new column turned out great and really gives the space a richer look. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...