Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC Router Recomondations for woodshop

Keith is correct all three phases have to be considered. if one is hard to work or understand then the process as a whole will be a nightmare.

Machine - big problem is get one the size you need even if it cost more. the time spent on trying to use register points & work a rounds will eat profits faster than the cost upfront to get the 4x8 or what ever is needed.

Design Software - this is the start point of the whole process if this is a road block for you then you need to look in to a package that will work. The best work comes from the users that are excited about there work. If you are having trouble with the design phase because of hard to manage software then creativity will suffer.

Control Software - this is the part that can get allot of folks this can be the easiest and the hardest. What I mean is this, it can seem like all you have to do is load the file and press go with your software. But there is a lot going on behind the curtain.
    If you have glitches then your cuts will be off, bad, and much more. The control software should be a stable work environment for your machine to run at its best. A owner operator should learn all he can about the control software. The shear number off settings that can be changed to accomplish different aspects of machine functions is mind boggling. Most manufactures will set a machine up in a default setting one that is good on all levels. Good for curves, 3D, signs, cabinets ect… but the settings can be changed by the end user to get better results for each type of job. This is not a limitation of the machine or the software it is a addition to enhance the functionality of both.

This being said you would do yourself good if you look into a controller that support is given not only online but via the web and phone. Back to the settings if just one is off then all is lost. It only takes one hole to sink a ship “ask Capt. Smith of the USS. Titanic”

Thanks for the ability to ramble on I’m just sitting here weighting on my wife so we can go.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Troy, I have a camaster and have been using it for several weeks now without a single problem. I've been cutting 2D designs set up on vcarve pro and it has been just great. Vcarve pro 5.5 has really nice additions to make the work go faster and the design easier. I just started cutting 3D work on the cnc and it is just superb.

I'm very happy with the purchase. I have the 4x4 size with rotary (have not gotten to use it yet). What I'm planning on making, 4x4 is plenty big. I looked at several other makes, but I did not want to go with any that uses proprietary software. I also liked the really heavy duty construction of the camaster.

Vcarve is very easly to learn and should be good for most applications. I still prefer to setup complex designs in coreldraw and then import into vcarve for toolpathing.

My machine came with mach 3. While I like it, I'm having more trouble learning it than I thought I would, but it is not stopping me from getting things done.

Good luck with your purchase. The cnc is allowing me to look at design and fabrication in a whole new light.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard View Post
    big problem is get one the size you need even if it cost more. the time spent on trying to use register points & work a rounds will eat profits faster than the cost upfront to get the 4x8 or what ever is needed.

Joey is right, I started out looking for a small machine, and was completely determined that I could work having around a smaller table. I finally gave in and found a way to fit a 4x8 machine in my shop. Even if your only cutting small parts you can load more of them onto the machine. When nesting small parts it is surprisingly easy to use up a 4x4 sheet of material. Just about everybody I asked or talked to strongly suggested going 4x8, you guys know who you are.

A 2x4 or 4x4 machine might be more than appropriate however if you are limited by budged, space constraints, or if you use it for very specific production that only requires a smaller setup. A smaller CNC over a big CNC is better than none at all, but make sure you get what you need.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-27-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Thanks

Thank you for all the feedback it has given me a LOT of things to consider when making my selection. I need to figure out where in the shop I will place the unit. Leaning toward the finishing side of the shop which is more dust free and figure out a cover of some sort for when I am spraying. That is the section of the shop that I would have a large enough area for a 4x8 unit and its closer to the office space where the computers are so I can run the wiring easier.
    Thanks again

Troy B

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Burritt View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback it has given me a LOT of things to consider when making my selection. I need to figure out where in the shop I will place the unit. Leaning toward the finishing side of the shop which is more dust free and figure out a cover of some sort for when I am spraying. That is the section of the shop that I would have a large enough area for a 4x8 unit and its closer to the office space where the computers are so I can run the wiring easier.
    Thanks again

Troy B
    Troy,

I'm not sure what you're referring to about the wiring, but you're going to want the PC that runs your CNC *right next* to the CNC. You may be referring to wiring the CNC PC up to the network so it can communicate to the other PC's in the office, but I just wanted to make sure.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

You are correct. I will have a shop PC near the machine but the CAD and other items will be in the office so I will need to transfer files etc..
    Just a small fish in a big pond trying to make a difference one job at a time.

just buy a cheap router and connect the two machines. then use network wizard to get them connected. then share the folder where you store your cut files on the cnc computer.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing