Thread: Portable 18v Dewalt Air Compressor Flashlight, No Really...

Lightbulb Portable 18v Dewalt Air Compressor Flashlight, No Really...

Thought you guys might appreciate this thingamajig. I needed to do some punchlist work on some finished retail stores and didnt want to lug my compressor and dirty hoses all over and near $40000 fur coats and italian carpets, so my solution? Repurpose my seldom used Dewalt 18v gooseneck flashlight into a small portable compressor. Some company already makes something like this, also lowes sells a compressed air tank system (tank from a paitball gun) but this way I got to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, TINKERING! plus I'm cheap

Two 12v car tire inflators from harbor freight ($10 for the pair onsale) gutted provide the pumping power. Some pvc for the small storage tank, and some miscellaneous pipe fittings, hose clamps, and angle brackets, stuff I had laying around, and an hour later I had this. Pumps up to 120psi in about 30 seconds. When I use it with my 23ga pinner I get about 8 shots before having to turn it back on again, three with the 18ga, or if I have more than a few nail to shoot I can just let it run ( I have been looking for some kind of pressure switch to automate things a bit, but haven't had much luck) Have used it with a 16ga nailer also, even aired up a guys tire with it. Need to make a little guard to cover the gears, they can burn you right quick if you brush up against them while their spinning (don't ask me how I know )

What do you think?

-Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fun post, thanks Chris (Or should I say thanks Angus)

He is part Indiana Jones, part Sherlock Holmes.
    He can turn a bicycle frame into a blowtorch, disarm a bomb with a hockey ticket, or weld a broken pipe with a handfull of quarters.
    He is MacGyver, a natural genius whose quick wits and knowledge of science allow him to perform incredible feats with everyday objects.

Really though, hats off for the inventiveness. There has been a time or two that I wished I was able to bring my Grex 23 gauge pinner in for just a minute or two to tack something down.

Regards,
    Larry R,
    Seattle

pretty cool invention Chris, maybe you ought send that picture to dewalt
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I like it! Where did you source that 3 way coupler? Don't think I've ever seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I like it! Where did you source that 3 way coupler? Don't think I've ever seen one.
    They carry them at Lowes and Depot usually in brass, I think they are cheaper at Harbor Freight in aluminum, people usually pair them with one male connector on the bottom and 3 females on top, like a 3 way power adapter for air hoses. If you don't keep a close eye on them around a job site they will disappear very quick. I guess by the time you buy the adapter and the 4 fittings it gets up to $20 or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    HF has those as well.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's awesome.

Awesome.. but I think you might have voided the warrenty on the battery.. lol.

Pretty cool, but I wouldn't try to carry it on an airplane. It would give the bomb screeners a heart attack.
    The Plane Anarchist