Thread: Sideboard Questions

Sideboard Questions

I'm finishing up this project and have two questions's, first is about the top, do you place the top flush with the back or do you let it over hang the approx. the same the whole way around or what do you folks do?
    My second question is that I'm having little bubbles develop in my polyurethane. They are tiny air bobbles and are not every where and will bust very easy, any ideas what is causing this.
    thanks for your help and yes I'll post completed photos soon!

I often let the top overhang the back. This allows the top to fit flush to the wall when the legs are touching the baseboard.

Excellent advice, Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by "Gary Smith" View Post
    I'm finishing up this project and have two questions's, first is about the top, do you place the top flush with the back or do you let it over hang the approx. the same the whole way around or what do you folks do?
    My second question is that I'm having little bubbles develop in my polyurethane. They are tiny air bobbles and are not every where and will bust very easy, any ideas what is causing this.
    thanks for your help and yes I'll post completed photos soon!
    Are you perhaps shaking the poly can to mix, rather than stirring? Shaking can induce air bubbles.

Are you using red oak? I was putting poly on red oak base board and casing prior to installation; I did this outside, and when I placed the boards in the sun to dry, the air in the wood pores expanded and caused bubbles in the poly. When the first coat of poly was dry, the bubbles sanded away easilly, and I let the second coat of poly dry in the shade inside the garage.

Gary,

I can't help with the bubbles in Poly as whenever I used to use Poly, I would have the same issue. I don't like poly on fine furniture for 3 reasons.

1. It is difficule to apply, it runs and it leaves bubbles.
    2. It yellows over time
    3. It "crazes" over time.

Most fine furniture manufacturers (including Stickley) use Lacquer as their finish. You can get a spray booth and professional spray equipment. If you have an amatuer like me. You can go to Home Depot and buy bottles of Lacquer spay. Lacquer is much easier to apply than Poly. IMO, it gives a nicer, more durable long term finish. Just my 2cents.