Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lookin for advice on a jointer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lookin for advice on a jointer

My bench top Delta jointer just does not cut it. The free tool, a rebate, and the 5 year warranty makes the Delta 37-275X X5 6" jointer a pretty nice option. It is above my $500 price range, but the extras make it worth it. Are there any opinions on this jointer? Any other Jointers that I should look at in this price range?

Thanks

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

In that price range I would have to vote for the Griz, I would have to say if you can spring the extra cash go for the 8".
    Larry

To be top grade, wood has to be at least 6 inches wide after planing, which means that none of your good wood works on a 6 inch jointer. I recommend at least 8 inches, even if you have to wait to get it.

On the other hand, I can make you a great deal on a 6 inch jointer (I expect to go to 16 inches in November)

Dan, I think I'd spring for the Grizzly 0500 8" machine before the 6" Delta, even if you need to save an extra month or three. Early models of the Delta had a lot of quality issues (since straightened out) and I believe it also has the rack and pinion fence which while nice, requires you keep the tool out away from the wall. (Same issue as my Mini Max FS350 in that respect)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The reason why I am not going to an 8" jointer is because my shop is my 1 car garage and my storage area is extremely tight. I'm still trying to figure out how I will get the 6 incher in. I know some of the grizzly 6 inchers are only 20" deep, and that may be another option.

Dan

I sure do like my Grizzly 1182. Not sure how it compares to the Delta, but it's a great little jointer.

Dan,

Man I hear you on the tight space thing. My garage is just alitle bigger than one car. I just bumped up to a Delta Dj20 it is only 2 inches wider than my jet 6". I am still working on the rehab of the garage so we will see how it works out. I thought about the yorkcraft and griz jointers. Even thouhgt about cutting a hole in the wall and putting a peice of capped PVC as a port for the r&p fence. But then I got a good deal on the DJ20. good luck. If that hobbit hole is near Arkie Land I have a Jet 6" that needs a good home. Hold out for the 8 if you can.
    Joe

I'd also recommend getting the 8" jointer, but if you absolutely can't, before spending $550 on the Delta with short beds, check out the General International for around $500 that has 55" beds. The Sunhill jointer also has a long bed, maybe around 52" IIRC. That's even cheaper then the GI. No reason to buy a Jet or Delta 6" jointer, IMHO. Unless you have to match colors with the rest of your tools or something....

Dan,

I have the 4 knife Sunhill 8" jointer ($729) which is the same as the Grizzly 8" model. The total depth is 24", only 4" more than the Delta.

I will check these out... Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

Dan

I think you should definitely consider one with a long bed. My PM has a 66" bed and I really appreciate it when jointing long boards. I only wish I had save my pennies for another year and gotten an 8"

Dan,
    If space is tight, I'd advise against the Delta. The fence has a LONG rod which sticks out the backup preventing it from being place close to a wall. Also, the high mounted switch eliminates any chance of wheeling it under a bench.

I was presented with similar problems. An 8" jointer just was impractical in my basement shop with its narrow stairs. I looked at the Delta but decided against based on the above size issues plus some fit and finish issues.

For less money I got the Jet closed stand jointer. Very happy with it, and it is a good 8" narrower than the Delta. I have no regrets and haven't yet missed the extra 2" of a bigger jointer.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Talking I have the Delta

I know everyone on here is telling you 8", but I know how you feel on the 1 car garage issue and my still has to be able to handle parking the car in there. If you get the Delta jointer from Amazon you get a $25 discount plus the free shipping (not with grizzly ~$50) and a free mobil base (~$75) and you can do the math they come close in price. The Delta also has the taller fence. I was planning on getting the Sunhill with the longer beds but they had no idea when they were going to get some much less when they could get one to me. (April 2004) Now don't get me wrong, I would love to have 8" maybe enough a 10" on day but for now in my small garage/ shop the 6" Delta works GREAT. Just my 2 cents.

Have a good one

If the 8" is out of the question, I'll jump on the Griz bandwagon. Mine's been going strong for 3 years without a glitch. The Griz is made in the same plant as the Jet, Bridgewood, Sunhill and others.....maybe even the GI....all very good machines.

Yorkcraft makes a clone of the Delta 37-275x that's in the $350 range plus s/h. Be aware that if space is a concern, it has the same rack and pinion set up as the Delta which is a bit deeper than the others.

I have a Griz 1182HW in my two car garage. Like you Dan, storage space was a major criteria. I would have loved an 8-inch unit but simply don't have the space available. The depth really wasn't much of a problem but the "wing spread" was. I do have it sitting on a Shop Fox mobile base so I can easily move it around.

I really like my Griz. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. The only problem was installing about a gazillion itsy bitsy sheet metal screws to assemble the base. However, once it was done, it has served its purpose very well. If I were to buy an 8-incher, I'd again be looking at the Griz first.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb