Thread: Need help to put CPU in closet

Need help to put CPU in closet

I want to put my desktop cpu in a closet and have only my keyboard and monitor on my desk. Can I do this w/o spending a bunch of money? And if so, how? Thanks Lewis.

P.S. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

What's the distance between the closet and your desk? If it's less than a standard USB cable, you're fine. Just run the cables from the closet to your desk and make sure your PC doesn't get too hot in there.

If it is a long distance, I recommend a KVM extender. I use KVM extenders from Rose at work. But I don't think they're cheap. Basically, you plug one extender box into the computer and connect another extender box to your keyboard, monitor, mouse. Then you connect the two extender boxes with CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable. It works very well; even for very long distances.

http://rose.com/htm/crystalview.htm

If yr keyboard and mouse are USB, then you just need longer USB coupling cables. You'll need a female to male cable.

For the monitor, you'll need a longer video coupling cable too.

Look into KVM extension cables. You might be able to get a single, stranded cable with the three components as one.

Also, consider venting yr closet. I have our work server in a small room with a vented drop ceiling and you'd be surprised how much heat that thing generates.

About $120 for an Ethernet cabled extender for a KVM switch. A cheapie KVM for about $40.

I'll be glad to help.....

but first

whats a cpu

Cadillac Pick Up. Actually he's refering to his central processing unit, computer problem unit, you know, the box all the wires and fans are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    Cadillac Pick Up. Actually he's refering to his central processing unit, computer problem unit, you know, the box all the wires and fans are in.
    My mac doesn't seem to have one of those.

Its just a big screen with a 2ghz processor ( I don't know what that is, I guess it processes things but God only knows what) and it can remember 1.66 Gb of stuff.

I new it didn't stand for cadillac pick up. You couldn't fit that in a closet.

My Imac doesn't either. Computer, monitor, TV, DVD player, Stereo, all 2" thick on the desk.

Make sure you account for airflow.

It would seem that none of my iMacs have cpu's either

my mac mini does...but the thing is so small i can't find it

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    I want to put my desktop cpu in a closet and have only my keyboard and monitor on my desk. Can I do this w/o spending a bunch of money? And if so, how? Thanks Lewis.
    The keyboard and mouse are easy. Just get a (wireless) radio transmitting keyboard and mouse set. It uses a small receiver that plugs into a USB port. I have them on all of my computers. About 30-bucks at Walmart. Mine are made by MI (Micro Innovations).

Two AAA batteries for the keyboard last about 4 months, two AAA in he mouse last about 3 months. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries.

I suspect a cable is going to be needed for the monitor though but you can buy extender an cable with a M-F connectors on the end.
    Last edited by Dave Johnson29; 12-20-2009 at 9:49 AM.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Lewis, what do you call the "CPU"? Do you mean the computer case?

Things like the case's DVD reader and USB ports won't be easy to access if you put the case in a closet. I suppose you can use an external DVD reader and USB hub.

Out of the closet

The CPU came out of the closet years ago. I'm sure I read about it in the techie news