Thread: Sort and Dump Kids toy trash truck

Sort and Dump Kids toy trash truck

I needed a toy for a close friends sons birthday/ christmas present ( those December babies always get shortchanged don't they?). I was going to buy something but his parents are big into not buying things made in China, which eliminates a good 95% of toys on store shelves. So I was on the hunt for a toy I could make, found the inspiration in a toy plan book, (see attached image) but as is the case throughout this particular book, the best most fun looking toy plans are not included and must be sent away for. So after many many more hours than I though it would take, here is my more modern looking version. Made of birch and baltic birch ply, walnut, pine, white oak, and whatever wood the store bought dowels and plugs are made of. Finished with two coats of GF salad bowl finish.

Boxed, wrapped and delivered, was hoping after all the time I spent on it he would like it. They had a big party for him and his sister (ages 2 and 4, both December babies), lots of people, lots of presents. He opened mine last and took to it right off, he's only 2 and he started putting the blocks in the right holes almost instantly. All the other children there including his older sister were fighting him for it, and all the other adults were totally jealous esp after they learned that I had made it from scratch.
    The funny thing I noticed, despite all my planning and testing the pieces beforehand to make sure each shape would only fit in its corresponding hole somehow I missed that the round peg is small enough to fit in the square hole , lil' Max figured it out, guess I'll have to buy a bigger dowel to remedy this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unique!! Really, really a neat job on the design, engineering and execution.

I love it!!! Great idea, and great execution. well done!!

Chris,

Very nice job, toys made by hand are the best! When I was little my dad made a number of my toys and they were the ones I treasured most, from the sounds of it this may be the same situation. Personally I like your design better than the one from the book.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Nice job Chris. I learned from a children's day care worker back in the early 70's that wooden toys get more attention from kids than metal or plastic. Her theory is that they just liked the feel of smooth wood which is only her theory and nothing scientific to back it up. But.. over the years from observation I tend to agree with her.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Great idea! We do daycare for my nieces twin boys. A year and a half old. They have a plastic car with holes and a couple of shapes to put in BUT IT DOESN'T DUMP!

Nice one, but the China toy companies may want to hire you.

That's really nice work - I need to make some cars/trucks for my boys, seeing the stuff that you guys have made on this site is very inspiring.
    >witty woodworking quote goes here<

Looks good, be carefull the bug might just bite ya.

I made a bunch of toys and it can be lots of fun. I did not like making the wheels so I bought a pile of them from someware in NY. So cheap to buy them it did not make sense making them, at least for the smaller ones.

I bet you will be making more toys!

10. Chris,

That looks great. My son is really into any kind of machinery. He's 3-1/2 and loves to talk about hydraulics and combustion engines. Go figure.

Anyway, from what book did you draw inspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Nayar View Post
    Chris,

That looks great. My son is really into any kind of machinery. He's 3-1/2 and loves to talk about hydraulics and combustion engines. Go figure.

Anyway, from what book did you draw inspiration?
    Thanks for the compliment. Its from a Sun Designs book called Making Timeless Toys In Wood by Janet and Richard Strombeck here is a link to it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Making-Timeles.../dp/0912355050 There are no plans for it in the book only the photo as pictured in my attachments.

Awesome job- yours is better than the one in the book. This is very inspiring. I bet the kids like the warmth of wood toys like this one. Nice use of the grain with the truck grille.