Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Starting Engraving Business

30 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Starting Engraving Business

Good Day to everyone!!
    Me and my second half decided to start our home based laser engraving business to make some extra income during the rough times and most likely take that business to another level.
    We've attended Epilog presentation and were astonished with endless opportunities.
    But unfortunately there is not much information on that particular type of business. We are more leading to the artistic aspect of the business(wall art for example), opposed to dealing with trophies pens etc.
    I'm glad that I've found that forum and hoping to get all or at list some of my questions answered.
    So to all of you experts: What do you think would be the "30 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Starting Engraving Business"
    Thanks in advance to all who replied.

1. There is little money in artistic lasering - unless you (Dee) already have a thriving artistic type business you are augmenting with the laser. People LOVE the artistic stuff, but are unwilling to pay what it's worth. Fun hobby though.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 12-16-2009 at 3:15 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I hate to say it but Tim is right. Unless you have a definite niche and contacts for that type of work it can be a tough sell.

Also sometimes, unless your selling your own ideas and products it can be difficult working with the "Creative Minds" I know because I am one You'll get the "that's nice but not what I expected can we tweek this and that?"

That being said there are people here that do pretty good with artistic work, I believe it's David Fairfield that makes incredible small scall reproductions and Onur has finished great wall projects do, some searching through the forum for them and see what they create.

Laser work (opps paying work) doesn't come flowing in as soon as you open shop as a sales person may like it to seem. It does take some perserverance.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

The one think owning a laser does guarantee is the free time you used to have will be gone as you will be playing with all the cool things it can do!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    1. There is little money in artistic lasering - unless you (Dee) already have a thriving artistic type business you are augmenting with the laser. People LOVE the artistic stuff, but are unwilling to pay what it's worth. Fun hobby though.
    Thank you very much for a reply.Unfortunatly there are numerous companies in my area providing most common laser engraving services, so I thought going artistic would be something new and more appealing.

2 Don't buy any laser sales pitch and never look at the suggested retail price from a website selling you product seriously.

As in buy this cup for 5.00 sell it for 35.00 engraved.

Aint gonna happen. And if it does not well enough to make an income.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

People making lots of money with their lasers don't post it on internet forums. If they did, then everyone would be doing it and they'd be out of work

About the most productive (profitable) thing I've seen in the open on the forums that's real are electrical panel tags.

You'll go broke trying to engrave baby photos on a piece of marble.

The items you think people will love, they will. However, you need to get $15 each for them and they want to pay $1 each for them.

I could sit here for hours and type these out
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott's right, when I got my laser took samples to all the tile shops in a 30 mile radius, as no one else did title at the time. Must have done 500 to 600 hundred dollars of work for some of them as samples on different types of tile and stone. Only thing that came of it was I knew what worked and what did not , not one order so far in 3 years. But one shop owner did wanted a Indian eagle engraved in marble told him 100 and he went through the roof wanted it for under 40 so as a favor said OK. When he got it he hit the fan , said not what he wanted, he wanted it in filled with color also. LMAO

I'm also going with an artistic bent to my business. I only bought my laser a few months ago so I'm still very new at this. I assume you are an artist or have design sensibilities to want to enter this market.

If you would not otherwise be purchasing a laser (for a hobby), I would do a lot of research and development up front before buying the machine. Create some designs, then hire one people in your area to cut/engrave them or use Ponoko. Do a soft launch of your business with these designs. There is a lot of work to be done that doesn't involve owning your own laser. If you get through all of this and sell some pieces (outside of your friends and family) then you will have a much better idea of whether the business would be viable.
    Universal VLS 4.60 50W (18x24)
    Universal X2-660 Superspeed 2x60W (18x32)

If you're thinking business, not hobby or art, think of acquiring the laser in terms of hiring an employee. You are getting an extremely reliable laborer. You are not getting a business generator. The machine only does what you tell it, it can't think for you. So best have something for your robot-employee to do from the get-go.

I like Sarah's idea. If you have a potential big customer locally, like a college bookstore, pay somebody with a laser to make test shots of your design, then try marketing them. Let experience be your guide.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I use my laser to augment my arts business. As stated in the post above, the laser is just a tool. A really cool and fun tool but still just a tool.

To make the business work, you need to be more interested in making the sale and salesmanship. I have learned through by business that I can make some very unique and wonderful items, but if I can't sell it, it worthless.

Therefore, my main job is to sell, sell and sell. I use the laser as one of my tools to make the items that I am selling and selling and selling.

As with any small business, the main thing is to sell. The second thing is have someone or something make what you sell.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

11. Laser/Art

Laser ? Art ? Dee and Onur, they know it All
    60W Epilog Mini 24
    CorelDRAW X4
    Sony VAIO
    Wacom Intuos4 Tablet

JuLiAnA CoStA

Julien, I'll jump in here with my 2 cents. It sounds like you don't already have an art business, so what kind of art would you be interested in creating? Are you an experienced artist?

As stated before the laser is simply a tool which you use to make your product, like a paintbrush or chisel and hammer.

I personally found it a super great tool (and toy!), but only after I had an established customer base and niche which I worked on developing for several years before buying my first laser. If I had to go door to door trying to sell my products I'd be broke and tired.

So, my advice to add to your list is:
    1) research and KNOW your field, be very very good at what you do
    2) understand your potential customer
    3) create a product they MUST have and can't get anywhere else
    4) aim for the high end - people with little money are not your best customers.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

1) Marketing is important
    2) marketing is almost all thats important
    3) Marketing is the most important
    4) No easy money to be made without marketing
    5) Marketing is the first thing you do
    6) without marketing having a laser is like winking at a woman in the dark , only you know what you doing
    And so on......
    Search these boards for advice on starting out - been 100s of threads on this ..see how many ppl are actually making a decent living off their machines , especially those that have or had no pre exisiting markets or no other ancilliary machinery and the brutal truth might emerge.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

here's 30+ points in addition
    1) Takes at least a yr of hard work to start turning a profit
    2) Running costs are not insignificant
    3) Not everything comes out perfect off the laser
    4) Work on 1/2 the expected profits and 2x the expected running costs
    5) Lasers are flaky things , one day they work and the next they can be dead
    6) Tube life of 20 000 hrs is a myth
    7) 90% of the fancy stuff agents tell you a laser can do are bells and whistles that dont make money
    8) Cheap lasers are almost as good at what they do than expensive ones , in terms of the products they generate
    9) More power and biggers beds do not generate revenue in proportion to their size/power
    10) You have to be there every minute you are using the laser unless you want your house to possibly burn down.
    11) You can prolly make more money selling fruit on a street corner
    13) You need to be a designer
    14) You need to be a businessman
    15) You need to be a marketer
    16) You need to be a maintenance engineer
    17) No matter what exhaust system , sometimes lasering things smells bad
    18) You need more than a laser to make money out of this field
    19) You need to line up suppliers before you start
    20) You need to spend at least 2-3 months making samples
    21) Ask yourself "what have I got that ppl will use me instead of my competiton"
    22) You need to know your materials and how they react to a laser beam almost more than you need to know what a laser can do
    23) You have to have a basic understanding in how a laser works to understand settings and speeds and feeds
    24) you need to find out who are your competiton
    25) You need to accurately work out pricing
    26) You need to have rhino skin if you dont want to feel despondent when your cold calling garners you rude refusals
    27) Make sure all mnfgrs promises re service and guarantee are in writing.
    28) Don't believe some of these even if they are in writing
    29) Service , support and length of warrantee are what determines who's machines you should buy
    30) in most cases , once you bought you are on your own , mnfgrs wont hand hold you extensively for free
    31) You cant use mnfgrs suggested settings apart from a gross baseline , you are going to need to experiment.
    32) Not all laser drivers are convenient to use and not all will be useable if your OS changes and some have bugs that will never be ironed out.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks to each and every one of you for your comments and suggestions!
    I'm glad that I came to the right place when experienced experts can answer my questions.
    We are currently researching all possible opportunities that will make our business successful.
    I'm not a professional artist, but experienced IT professional who has design sensibilities , strong will and desire to make our business successful.
    I'm still open for any suggestions that would come to your mind.
    I think that your comments and suggestions would also benefit other newcomers in their business decisions.
    Thank you ones again!