Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Starting Engraving Business

1. Wow, interesting thread. I've been in the engraving business for 8 years now, started when I was 19 in an existing business. I also majored in graphic design so I understand about various file formats, vectors, etc but there's always something new to learn and new technology to keep up with. It's true what Rodne was saying about having to be a designer, marketer, businessman, etc.

I must agree that as much as I would like to pursue the artistic side of laser engraving, I too feel that there isn't much money in it (unless the customer wants the item badly enough to pay for it, which is pretty rare these days). On the positive side, I believe real money can be made in jobs with quantity involved (ex: name tags, signs, awards, etc).

I think we have a pretty good understanding what are we trying to get our self involved to.
    Unfortunately at my current life and our economy situation I don’t see any other way to possibly earn a decent retirement base as my age is approaching.
    Rodne, thank you ones again for sharing your wisdom and experience.

With just a laser you are not going to make near enough money to live on. In the 10 years I have been doing this I can give you 2 or 3 people in this area each year that bought lasers thinking they were going to make a killing at it After 10 years I am about the only one still in business but since the price of lasers have dropped there are at least 2 or 3 every year that start up and just about every one of them will caii me at some point wanting to sell me their laser. They are the same ones trying to sell an engraved photo on granite for 10 bucks.
    Last edited by James Stokes; 01-03-2010 at 9:55 AM.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.