Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No-metric rule

I have a "Woodsmith Fine Tools No. 121" that I bought from Woodsmith some years ago.

One side is graduated in sixteenths, top and bottom, and both top and bottom scales read from the left. This is a great convenience and this is my favorite 12" rule. Very easy to read (I'm 72).

The top scale on the second side is graduated in sixteenths with 0 at the center and reads out to 6" right and left. Convenient for finding the center of the face or edge of a board, but no big deal.

The bottom scale on the second side is graduated in thirty-seconds from left to right.

No metrics.

I don't know if Woodsmith still sells it, but if they do, and if I didn't already have one, I'd buy one. In fact, I'd buy it if it only had the one side with both top and bottom scales in sixteenths reading from the same end, and the other side was blank.

The one I linked to above has 8ths/16ths on both sides, no more, no less.

Wink Opposite problem

I have the opposite problem to the OP. Half of all my rulers is taken up by obsolete inches

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    The one I linked to above has 8ths/16ths on both sides, no more, no less.
    Yes, it does and I appreciate you posting the link. However, a) it's not 6" and b) doesn't look like it's very accurate. I'd like something with finely etched markings but without the mass of tiny gradations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    Yes, it does and I appreciate you posting the link. However, a) it's not 6" and b) doesn't look like it's very accurate. I'd like something with finely etched markings but without the mass of tiny gradations.
    Well, they did have a 6" version too, but you might have to go antique or custom if you want high accuracy without 32nds, or just rub the markings off between the 16ths so they are harder to see.

You could alternately get some self stick measuring tape and make a nice wooden backer for it. It won't be as accurate as a guaranteed steel rule but you could check the calibration once in a while with a good steel rule. If you are only working to 16ths it should be good enough. Grizzly claims high accuracy for their G3120 tape and its marked in 16ths and available left or right reading, scales on both edges, and cheap.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 12-16-2009 at 4:36 PM.

Check out the drafting section at an office supply store. I found a couple of rulers that were very easy to read and very accurate.

Print your own ruler. I did that, and it's accurate and cheap.
    http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night