Thread: Paper and Wood

Paper and Wood

Anyone have an idea on how this person does this?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/porkchopshow
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

It's the registration that's the pain.

How about:
    1) scan the image at 100% size
    2) trace as a vector line
    3) copy all vector lines to a file and make a quick vector pass on a blank piece of wood that just leaves a mark.
    4) glue the roughly scissor cut images onto the wood using the vector marks as a guide.
    5) run the file again but this time cutting all the way through.

That is how I might do it,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

On his site he posted this.

I make these cuts by applying paper images to 1/8" thick wood plywood and cutting with a laser cutting machine. Reverse painted black.

Sizes vary - 1 1/2" to 2" wide

Regards
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    It's the registration that's the pain.
    And once you have two "printers" (an inkjet to do the images and the laser to do the cut-outs) calibrated to each other, the pain subsides to a minimum.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    And once you have two "printers" (an inkjet to do the images and the laser to do the cut-outs) calibrated to each other, the pain subsides to a minimum.
    That's a good topic.

For that I'd:
    1) create a vector file with the largest sized rectangle that fits in the laser less .100" all the way around.
    2) position .100" from the top left corner of the file.
    3) print that file as a hairline on the printer.
    4) place the printed paper in the laser and vector cut the same file fast and with a very low pulse rate (so it perforates instead of cuts).
    5) measure the top and left offsets with calipers.
    6) adjust the original vector files offsets to match the measurements.
    7) measure the width and height differences between the laser cut and the printed output.
    8) do some math to determine the scaling percentages if any.
    9) save the vector file as a template.
    10) apply the scaling percentages to placed artwork with the origin at the upper left corner.

That should get you close. After that, doing the above with grids will help adjust for any non-linear inaccuracies.

That is all fine, but it assumes that the printer registration is the same each time. Printer registration can be a little off from sheet to sheet.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    That is all fine, but it assumes that the printer registration is the same each time. Printer registration can be a little off from sheet to sheet.
    If that happens you just include a printed line in the template along the upper and left edge and then trim with a blade.

Thanks folks! I'll see how this works out but I'm still wondering how the paper doesn't burned-up or charred at the edges. I guess I'll find out!

Ed
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Definitely want air assist going to minimize charring and smoke staining. Maybe a spray coat of varnish first, so you can wipe the finished parts a little if necessary without damaging the paper.

For alignment, I'd use a jig. A 3 sided wood frame, with sacrificial cardboard taped to the top. Run one file through the cardboard, then refocus.

Slide the blanks in through the open side, and align the artwork through the holes. Thats how I do very small printed signs for scale models.

Helps to have a nice thick border in the artwork to compensate for minor misalignment. Artsy stuff like this doesn't need to be perfectly aligned anyway.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Artsy stuff like this doesn't need to be perfectly aligned anyway.
    Yup. The only tricky bits are round ones, like those typewriter keys on the website:
    any slight misalignment of a round overlay on a round substrate sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Alignment tween a printer and the laser is actually easy.

Make an a4 template on the laser , ie an oversize piece of pex shoved in the corner of your rulers and cut an a4 piece out of it from home , this is your master template. Save the drawing you used as your master drawing.

When designing the graphic , use a hairline vector dieline*cutting line) combined with the graphic , ie a cut line and just printing.
    Step and repeat the image as you want and when printing it on the printer ALWAYS use "print in the centre of the page"

Do not print the die lines except for top right and bottom left one IF you need to - see a little under here why i do

Send just the die line corel file to the laser.

Align the die lines (group em) to the centre of the a4 square in the master drawing you used to make the master template. Turn off the a4 outline

Drop the printed page in the master template and just send the die lines to vector cut , and hey presto , you have a cut aligned with the graphic.

I print the 2 top and bottom die lines and send just these just to check the laser is indeed registered and I can adjust for any errors before cutting 100's of stickers or whatever Im cutting

Tolerances arent perfect , but within .2-.5mm or better in terms of registration and that is fine.
    Its a good idea to make sure your a4 paper fits real good in the master template and is easy to get out.

Some lasers have calibration for mismatches in x and y axes , calibrate em.
    If not , you can stretch or squash your drawing by a set amount if you do have these x y issues but no way of correcting em on the laser

There are probably other ways of making up the master template that might be better - we do this , but they complex to explain.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Am I wrong here? Is getting about $.35ea?
    Seems like a lot of work for that kind of money.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Take a look at the wooden cameo section and you will see this guy has this down cold.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.