Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Uses for Power Tools......

Alternate Uses for Power Tools......

Woodworkers are self-taught leaders at improvising. But when you're working on problems outside of the "workshop" and you have all those power tools at your disposal, anything can happen.

I just chased a mouse out of my kitchen, into the laundry room. It ran into a hole in the dryer vent hose (where it aparently entered my house) and into the PVC venting under the house.

I went outside and looked into the vent and saw him (about 8-10 feet away) laughing at me. Since I was afraid he would run back up into the house, I turned on the dryer. Didn't work - he still stared at me from his little nesting place where it was warm.

That's when I drug my 2HP portable dust collector through the kitchen & out onto the porch (as far as the cord would reach). The 20' long 4" dia. hose was just long enough to get to the outside vent.

I shut off the dryer, removed the louvered vent flap, and sucked the mouse out of my house. Not only did I get the mouse, but I cleaned all the lint out of the venting system and dryer.

Man, I'm going to write a great review on that dust collector!

So....What are the strangest things you've used power tools for?

um.....did the mouse go through an impeller? yuck...

clever though! nicely done.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Got a mouse with my pin nailer. Since it doesn't have a safety, it worked quite well at a 3ft distance.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

That's great. My wife has recently suggested that I use the dust collector to clean our dryer vent. The suggestion came after I had verbally pondered the idea of cleaning the HVAC ducts with the DC.

We used to shoot flies on the ceiling with our nail guns during slow times. There must have been a thousand nails in the insulation. I needed a coffee fix one day and only had whole beans and no grinder. i duct taped a paper cup to my router with the largest bit I could find and poured in the beans. In less than a minute had fresh ground coffee. Used a lag bolt for a cork screw once. Used the dust collector to "collect" ceiling insulation once, till the bag came off in the kitchen ----

I often use my tablesaw as a hammer.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I use my tool collection in place of a savings account

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wetzel View Post
    I use my tool collection in place of a savings account
    +10!

I had my blower in the Furnace couple years ago go out at around 10pm on a very cold night, instead of freezing, wired the circuit to think the blower was ON and used the leaf blower to move the air every couple hours until I got the replacement the next morning...

tried to use a cold chisel to pry off a bearing, damaged the chisel.
    tried to use a maul to cut up a lawn chair instead of a hacksaw, it worked well when it was used on a chopping block, till i got to that one peice of steel rod that goes across the back, put a huge dent in the blade......
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Took a portable DC to a rental with a blocked dryer pipe. Blew out lotsa lint, toys, and a golf ball.

Rick Potter

Chased possums and raccoons out of my garage/shop with my leaf blower.
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

All tools are hammers, except for chisels - they are screwdrivers.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Blog Entries
    You can use a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust to unclog a stopped up drain.

Shop vacs also work well fro removing unwanted stinging or buzzing insects from a room.

I just saw an episode of "Ask This Old House" where someone has invented an accessory for a reciprocating saw to shake paint cans quickly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You can use a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust to unclog a stopped up drain.
    Sounds like a recipe for goop in the face...

How do you cut up a chair with a maul?