Thread: Cordless reciprocating saw

Cordless reciprocating saw

A friend needs to purchase a cordless reciprocating saw to be used to trim trees (branches and roots), not for demolishing structures. They want to spend around $200 and want something relatively light but still powerful enough to do the job. They rented a Makita (I don't know the voltage) from Home Depot and it worked well, but HD doesn't sell the Makitas.

I've checked on Toolseeker and the ones that seem to meet the price criteria are DeWalt (14.4 volt) and Craftsman (18 volt). Home Depot also sells a Ridgid for around $200 but I don't know the volts.

Any comments about these brands or any others you know about?

Thanks.

I have a corded DeWalt. I have used my son's 18V cordless DeWalt and it seemed to perform as well as my corded one. I was impressed. As with any cordless tool, battery life and recharge time is important.

Milwaukee is my choice of brand for corded reciprocating saws, corded hammer drills, etc. I have both and they've served me well for many years now. Dunno how the cordless goes but I do agree cordless is the way to go for tree-trimming stuff. Husqvarna (sp?) is a good brand for power gardening stuff...electric but mostly gas...dunno if they have battery stuff.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I agree with Chris on Milwaukee as the choice for reciprocating saws. There is a reason many folks refer to these saws as "SAWZALL's". But I dont know if a cordless saw is the best choice for yard trimming duties. Now I have used my Sawzall with a big ugly blade for cutting branches and roots and it has performed well, but if it was running off a battery, I think I would have gone through several before the job was done.

Most people use a chainsaw for these kinds of jobs but chainsaws are intimidating and they don't do well near dirt (cutting roots) since the chain will dull in a heartbeat. Taking all this into account, it is hard to make a recommendation but I would say if cost is an issue and they want the cordless then maybe the sears would be a good choice. Sears used to be pretty flexible when it came to returning tools that don't work out.

Cordless Reciprocating Saws

I recently bought the 18 Volt Cordless Dewalt for the same reason. I have a big yard and don't like drop cords.

Amazon has one for $189 with free shipping. If you spend another $10 they have a $25 off coupon. This way you can get the saw and maybe a blade or 2 for $175.

The Sears website has a cordless 18v DeWalt for $199. I don't know if there's any shipping charges. Here's a link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...seBVCookie=Yes

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I guess they'll go with the DeWalt.

I know that some blade manufactures sell pruning blades for recip saws. I have an 18v cordless bosch and love it!

I have a corded PC Tiger Saw that just won't die. I have had it since 2000 and have dropped it more than a few times. It has demolished entire walls, cut my tree liimbs, firewood for the BBQ, etc, etc. I even cut the heavy steel on a trailer frame once. I have never used any of the other brands you speak of, but I can say that the PC is a good choice. I bought mine for $109 + tax.

After Huricane Ivan I had much work to do on the holes in my office roof. I bought the Milwaukee cordless combo which included the "hatchet" which is a reciprocating saw that has a handle which adjusts to the angle needed. That little 18 V saw will kick but. The circular saw rolls too. Anyway, I guess you'd say I vote for the Milwaukee package in that it is cheaper in the long run.

I forgot to add that Home Depot does sell that combination. That is where I bought mine.