Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad-Aware freezes

Blog Entries

Ad-Aware freezes

LOML complained that the computer was acting a bit slow so I did various scans, first with the virus protection and then with Spybot followed by Ad-aware. Spybot found one small tracking cookie, Ad-aware wanted to be updated so I followed the steps to download and install a newer version. However, when I try to run the program, it runs through the scan, locates 4-6 objects (it varies) and then the program freezes. It will only run again if I reboot the computer. When I reboot, the program isn't running anymore an all the data it found during the scan is gone and the program indicates that it has yet to run a scan. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it with the same result. I'm running the free version so there is no help from the providers.

Any ideas?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,
    Remove the program, go on line and download it again may work. Do a smart scan, the other mode will take till after Christmas to finish.
    David B

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, there was a virus blocking every virus removal program i could try. After trying everything i could think of i posted my problem on http:// forum.bullguard.com/forum/10/ (copy address and remove space after double slash marks). Some very helpful people over there and within a couple hours my system was clean as a whistle.

You might also try downloading the free antivirus from www.avast.com . once installed do the boot scan and see if that gets anything.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 12-10-2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: removed link to another forum - against TOS

That sounds similar to a problem I had a while back. Unfortunately, I don't recall the particulars, but there was a virus/trojan involved, and I believe I had to use Windows Defender (free) to help with the problem. I think there also had to be a boot scan. If you can see the name of the problem that comes up, searching that online can often get you to the solution.

The worst case scenario is that I've had to remove hard drives and install them as a slave in another computer to scan/fix them, then reinstall them in the original computer (I've done that for friends a few times).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

What are you using for antivirus? it sounds like a virus to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    LOML complained that the computer was acting a bit slow so I did various scans, first with the virus protection and then with Spybot followed by Ad-aware.

Any ideas?
    Spybot and AdAware have not been on my computer for a long time. Superantispyware and Malwarebytes are now my tag-team of choice.

I don't run AV software because it slows down my computer 100% of the time, and is not at all effective. Practicing safe networking works better for me.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I run the free version of Ad-Aware and have not encountered the problem that you mention. I also went back to Norton Anit-virus several months ago and was pleasantly surprised to find that the current version did not cause much of a slow down even when doing a full system scan. I had the full version of AVG but it let a bad virus into my computer and that was enough.

Here's another vote for Avast. It is better than any other I've tried.

Avast is the only free antivirus worth using. We call people who use AVG "customers."

Blog Entries

Ad-Aware UPdate

Well, I tried the Malwarebytes program recommended above, it downloaded smoothly and ran a scan...it found nothing. So I uninstalled Ad-aware and downloaded it again complete from their website, re-installed it and was able to run a complete scan. It found several tracking cookies, but nothing serious.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

did you check for viruses? (virii?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    did you check for viruses? (virii?)
    Yes I have active virus protection installed and a firewall and working and it finds no virii.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Do you mind if I ask what AV you are using?
    The other thing to try, (and I apologize fro forgetting this) is to run a thorough defrag. A badly fragmented drive can keep these tools from completing their scans.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 12-14-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Another vote. I got it at the time because I had just set up a 64 bit system with XP/64 and they were the only 64 bit Anti-virus. After using it, i dumped everything else and use Avast on all my Windows boxes.

Plus "Avast" is just cool to say
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Here's another vote for Avast. It is better than any other I've tried.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what AV you are using?
    The other thing to try, (and I apologize fro forgetting this) is to run a thorough defrag. A badly fragmented drive can keep these tools from completing their scans.
    I use F-prot, their latest version. I've never had a problem and it didn't seem to load up the operating system like Norton and some of the others. Also you get their newest version every year with your subscription fee.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!