Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on a personal snow plow for pickup

I have a plow and a snowblower I use the blower because I can throw the snow 40 feet from the drive and the plow just piles it up on the sides and then when it snows and blows it will drift across and be as high as the piles. I have had piles that were 4 feet high and the plow couldn't get through them

Side by sides make great snow pushers. In fact pound for pound I don't see an equal to them. However if you get a lot of snow fall you can end up like Jerome said. That said my solution is that you have one opportunity to get it "right" with each snow fall. I always pushed well back from the driveway to avoid the "wind tunnel" and it worked pretty well. If it's a large snowfall you may have to plow several times to keep ahead of the mess. It wasn't a problem to roll snow over the top of the blade when it was deep. So you had to "work" the snow or risk accidently on your pile stuck. It doesn't matter if all 4 wheels are locked up if they aren't on the ground. Someone told me this I think. Plowing in the dark is when you have to pay the closest attention to this in my experience. You can get softside enclosure cabs to make it more tolerable.
    As for truck mounted plows each region seems to have their "favorite" brands. No dog in this fight other than to say that you can pickup used late spring and early summer typically on the cheap used. That doesn't help you now I know. Good luck.

Climate location really matters. How many feet of snow do you get in most storms? How many total feet for the year. Does it melt down between storms or not. In Tahoe the snow does not really pack down much over winter so 50 feet of snow is still 25-30 feet tall by the end of winter. No unpowered plow is going to do much to clear that off the road when the banks are over 50 feet tall.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Climate location really matters. How many feet of snow do you get in most storms? How many total feet for the year. Does it melt down between storms or not. In Tahoe the snow does not really pack down much over winter so 50 feet of snow is still 25-30 feet tall by the end of winter. No unpowered plow is going to do much to clear that off the road when the banks are over 50 feet tall.
    Bill D

Somehow I don't think he's looking at 50 feet of snowfall. It's also unlikely unless you have more money than you could ever need an individual will have a snow blower to handle this. An educated guess would be a few feet of snow per season. The OP knows what his needs are and is simply looking for opinions and options.

Our friend the architect posted some facebook pictures of a house project where rather then deal with Tahoe snow they blasted. a 100 foot long tunnel, in granite, to connect the garage with the house. So some people do have that kind of money, not me, and I have enough brains not to live in deep snow. You would not believe how expensive windows are for that area.
    Bill D.

Silicon valley billionares build a "cabin" in the mountains.
    https://www.wyarch.com/category/residential/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-11-2020 at 10:00 PM.

I thought a rule of thumb was a plow had to be twice as tall as th accumulated snow. So for a 3 foot storm you need a six foot tall plow or you have to do it several times during the snow event.
    Bil lD

Our local U-Haul moving center has a shop and they install trailer hitches. You might look into that.

Absolute best snow plow ever is I-95 South. Once past Richmond, seldom is snow seen.