Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I really THAT bad of a person?

The LOML and I donate to a lot of organizations. I politely tell telemarketers that if they want to mail me some information I'll consider it but otherwise, I don't donate or make commitments over the phone.

It downright burns me up when I am in a line at a store and they ask me if I'd like to donate. I came there to buy something. I didn't get in line to be solicited for donations. If they want to do that, set up a special line and put sign up for it. Burns me up!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm worse than you scott....i am to the point where the mere thought of walking into wal-mart when they have the red kettle people out front ringing the bell makes me turn around and get back into my car. its my way of not supporting the store that would permit that to happen. i give away enough of my money to the government.

So sleep well knowing you are not the worst person out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    I'm worse than you scott....i am to the point where the mere thought of walking into wal-mart when they have the red kettle people out front ringing the bell makes me turn around and get back into my car.
    I have better reasons than that for not going to Wal-Mart But, I agree... Allowing that particular charity to solicit fairly overtly defines their stance on social/political issues that many of their customers don't agree with...

One of our grocery stores will give you a credit for bringing in a reusable grocery bag, OR they'll donate the $0.15 credit to a local school. Everytime you bring in a bag, the cashier asks you if you want to keep the 15 cents or donate it. I feel bad asking to keep the few cents, but if I don't, I'm "paying" for the bags I didn't use!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I have better reasons than that for not going to Wal-Mart
    Wow, I was thinking the same thing!

I just tell solicitors either "no" or "I've already donated", which is usually the truth.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Volunteer

What about that organization that has persuaded thousands of employers to “put the squeeze on” employees to donate to their charity. You know who I’m talking about. My first exposure to this despicable practice was during part-time employment at a local supermarket during high school. Employees were called into the office one-by-one to sit in front of the owners. The question wasn’t, will you give or how much, but rather how you will pay the amount they had predetermined. The options were: a lump-sum payment or pay-check deductions.

They got the same answer that anyone posing that question to me has received since: I decided if, when, how much, and to whom my disposable income will be made available, not you.

I then suggest that they follow my example and donate their time and services to a worthy organization or charity. It’s far more rewarding than monthly deductions from your paycheck. Uncle Sam already does that!

Very interesting thread

Excellent timing too. Shouldn't the organizations work for donations all yr, not just around Christmas? Every one PUSHES harder around the holidays for donations, don't they truly care about their cause enough to do it ALL yr with the same earnest?

And some of you guys hit a valuable point, we go to place's of business to do a specific business, not be solicited. I feel the urge to start a boycott.

Mark me down as a bad person too.

I do have a soft spot for bell ringers though

Big difference between allowing a solicitation outside a store and asking you at the cash register. You can simply walk by someone outside the store...no one is forcing an interaction. When they ask at the register, it's intrusive and frankly it's quite inappropriate. That sort of nonsense really doesn't belong in the middle of a business transaction.

There's a group of folks that doesn't mind them asking at the register, and there's also a group that wants to see absolutely nothing with any religious or even slightly contentious content. I think the vast majority of folks are in between, i.e. setup where you want because I'm a grownup and can choose to participate if I wish, but when it's time for business, let me conduct my business in peace.

This seems so basic that it's a wonder so many companies screw it up.

re: boycotts
    Interestingly enough, I go out of my way to boycott stores that don't allow charitable organizations to solicit. I also get irritated when a store employee (or anyone, really) wishes me a happy holidays. I don't celebrate holidays, I celebrate Christmas. If you celebrate Chanukah or Kwanzaa, then great, wish me a happy Chanukah. It just seems like we've forgotten how to behave with basic manners, and also have to be shielded from the slightest hint of any idea we happen to not agree with. How sterile and uninteresting.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-09-2009 at 11:01 PM.

What get me is the schools sending out kids to push a bunch of junk you can buy at the dollar store. "Sir would you like to buy a box of pencils for $25 that can be had at any store for $1.99?"

You think it's bad places asking you for donations. You should manage a store. The phone rings all day long for donations. One month we were asked for a total of $24,000 worth of donations .
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I once had a clerk tell me everyone in front of me donated so why don't I? I politely asked if she had and her response was she worked hard for her money. I said so do I and when she gave me my total for my purchases, I said I worked far too hard for my money to spend it at that store and left. Haven't been back.
    Leigh Costello
    Epilog Mini 24, 45W, Corel X4
    Smile, make them wonder what ya did.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    re: boycotts
    Interestingly enough, I go out of my way to boycott stores that don't allow charitable organizations to solicit. I also get irritated when a store employee (or anyone, really) wishes me a happy holidays. I don't celebrate holidays, I celebrate Christmas. If you celebrate Chanukah or Kwanzaa, then great, wish me a happy Chanukah. It just seems like we've forgotten how to behave with basic manners, and also have to be shielded from the slightest hint of any idea we happen to not agree with. How sterile and uninteresting.
    I guess my philosophy is a bit different. If I celebrate Christmas, for example, then I celebrate it as I wish. But I don't push it on everyone else. If I don't know what another person celebrates, I wish them "Happy Holidays". But if I know they're Jewish, for example, I wish them "Happy Hanukkah". That is, I focus my greeting on them, rather than on me.

Mike

[And incidently, Hanukkah is early this year, starting at sundown on December 11. So to everyone who celebrates, "Happy Hanukkah!"]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-10-2009 at 1:40 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My philosophy is a bit different too. You do realize that all that money you put in the jar at your local 7-11, or borg is donated under the name of the company. When you see a telethon and they announce that a million bucks was just donated by a retailer, that means the retailer gets the credit for being generous, AND gets to write it off, even though it may have been entirely donated by customers. These companies never get a dime donation from me.

Some companies donate their own money, or match customers donations, and I give them credit for it. Kraft Foods, for example, is a very generous company, and I buy their products because of it.

I will always support Salvation Army, but usually with a check that I get to deduct, but I still give to the buckets.

Like most, I have my list of preferred charities, and some I avoid because of their practices.

Rick Potter

During the aftermath of the sunami that hit Seward AK, a bunch of us Air Force grunts from Elmendorf went to help clean up. The Salvation Army was there giving the volunteers coffee and sandwiches. The other "helping" org. was selling the same thing.
    Since then, I have never donated to that other organization and always stuff a wad of bills in the bell ringer's pot.
    And, like other's have said, I got really pissed when my time was wasted by having to listen to the spiel from the United Fund. Got suckered once. Never again.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I'm with Rick on this one. I'm NOT donating to a store so they can take credit for how generous they are. I'll donate as I see fit and to who I want to benefit.

I always empty my pockets for the bell ringers. I've SEEN the work they do, other charities are, as far as I'm concerned, questionable. Oh, and I do my share with food donations throughout the year. People aren't hungry just at Christmas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    ... I do have a soft spot for bell ringers though
    I have something for them also, but not necessarily a "soft spot". Some of them ring the bell so emphatically that I can hardly wait to get past them. It hurts my ears!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

My worst experience was in a WalMart. My wife and I's personal checks have certain symbols on them that identify us with a particular group. Most people don't pay any attention or comment. So I'm checking out and the cashier asks me if I want to donate $1 to the cause du jour. When I politely said, "No thanks," she responded (loudly announcing it and not looking at me) with, "I thought (insert my group name here) weren't like that."

I wasn't prepared for that kind of response, so I didn't say anything, but I sure feel sorry for the next person who tries to pull something like that now.

As for the random solicitations for a buck here or there, my response now is that my giving has already been budgeted for other things.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore