Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braille Script - What am I getting in to?

Braille Script - What am I getting in to?

I see several posts here regarding Braille Script and have been asked by my employer to look into the process.

I'm assuming it's not as easy as downloading/buying a Corel plug-in, engraving holes, and calling it good. Braille needs to be raised "bumps" from what I understand, and I'm also assuming there are strict guidelines as to the diameter, height, and spacing of these "bumps". I will do all the research myself, but I'm just trying to grasp the concept of the whole thing. From an engravers standpoint, what exactly am I looking at as far as the process and materials go? Any small hint of info would greatly help me determine if this is something we should even get in to....

Thanks Creekers!

There is a plug in for corel posted in the beginning of this forum. There has also been several threads about that subject in the last year. You will nee to use advanced search to find them using "Braille" as search criteria.

GDG

Blog Entries
    Funnily enough, there's a sticky at the top of the page for a CorelDraw Braille plug-in... so yes, there is a plug-in. It was created by SMC's webmaster. You'll still need to put the balls in the holes, but the plug-in will at least allow you to type in plain text and get an ADA-compliant text line.

If you want to do everything yourself, there's plenty of info to Google for, but if you need to go "right now", the plug-in will probably be your best bet.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yes, I saw the Braille post in here before I posted mine...and I did some forum searching but I thought Creek could help me faster than a big Googling effort. I don't need to know what software/program to use, the ADA specs, or any of that stuff. My only real question is is this a 2-step (or longer) process where I need to engrave holes AND glue tiny balls in them? And what medium is generally used for these tiny balls? I'm assuming there is a standard thing everyone finds best.

OK, found what I was after! You can delete this post Mr. Moderator.

Scott,
    There are specific balls that are used and you can buy them by the 1,000's. The trick is the tool used to insert them. Unless you have a license with the company that patented one of the processes, you won't be able to get the tool - not easily anyway. The tool is in the $500 neighborhood, but looks to be WELL worth it. I just did a signage job and had another shop do the braille part, they were very reasonable and did a perfect job! The best part is that I didn't have to invest the time and tooling to do it myself.

If you want to buy the balls and do it yourself, the place I found is brailleballs.com. Nice folks there, very helpful.

Gary

Blog Entries
    The balls are a dime a dozen (actually, quite a bit cheaper)... any acrylic ball of the appropriate diameter will do. McMaster Carr has them for about $10 per 500 balls.

Our illustrious leader, Keith, uses a tamper-proof torx bit (has a hole in the middle) to set the balls. Here's a useful thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58807

The "tool" Gary is talking about will run you $2,000 because you have to buy a package. They won't sell just the tool, that I am aware of. They will sell one to you if you already own the kit, but not if you don't.

I do believe that patent has either run out or is close to running out as well.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've just read through a slew of past Creek posts and learned what I need to know...

COULD be really profitable, if you're lucky, but between the expense () and intensive labor it seems like an overall pain
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-09-2009 at 4:00 PM. Reason: deleted unnecessary language

It's far more easily done with a rotary engraver than the laser.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    What expense? Balls cost a penny a piece in bulk, and for <$100 you have a plug-in that takes care of the text conversion. It's a time-killer, I'll give you that, but it's certainly not expensive.

The tool I use for setting braille rasters now is a 2/32 nail set. You can buy them at Lowe's or any good hardware store for about 3 bucks. The nail set has a conical end that works better than using the Torx bit I was using awhile back.

Braileballs.com is where I order braille rasters, normally I order 44,000 at a time. I stock both the white and the clear acrylic braille balls.

You can speed weeks figuring out what to do and how to do it or you can order Aaron Koehl's Braille script for Corel Draw. He did all the programing for me and now sells a package that has everything you need........and it is super easy.

ADA signs are profitable and there is plenty of work. You need to invest some time establising and then streamling your fabrication techniques to get your time per sign down as low as possible.

I installed 300 ADA door signs in the last two weeks and a host of other signs in a commercial building. Its good to be busy
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-09-2009 at 4:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    The "tool" Gary is talking about will run you $2,000 because you have to buy a package. They won't sell just the tool, that I am aware of. They will sell one to you if you already own the kit, but not if you don't.

I do believe that patent has either run out or is close to running out as well.
    It can be had if you really wanted it... I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Scott,
    There are specific balls that are used and you can buy them by the 1,000's. The trick is the tool used to insert them. Unless you have a license with the company that patented one of the processes, you won't be able to get the tool - not easily anyway. The tool is in the $500 neighborhood, but looks to be WELL worth it. I just did a signage job and had another shop do the braille part, they were very reasonable and did a perfect job! The best part is that I didn't have to invest the time and tooling to do it myself.

If you want to buy the balls and do it yourself, the place I found is brailleballs.com. Nice folks there, very helpful.

Gary

Pretty funny.... the "tool" can be made in about 30 minutes on a lathe. Conical shaped, with a hole through it. Connect the other end up to a cheap vacuum pump and it's done. Over the years, I've made quite a few. Very frequently used in machine shops (think very small ball bearings!) and clock repair to pick up tiny objects.

The idea that someone patented this old tool for ADA work is hilarious. Another advantage of this tool is that it will pick up just one ball at a time out of a jar full.

Tell you what: for $259.95 each, I'll make all you want, but you can only use it for picking up ball bearings! If you want to pick up ADA balls, then you've got to shell out $2000 to the other guy!!

Hey! Maybe I can patent a pair of pliers to pick nose hairs! I can corner the market for pliers!

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Mark, have you seen the one's that are sold? They are very slick. I'd love to own one. For $500, I'd gladly own one. The guy that invented it sold the rights to the guy that owns it now from best I can tell. The original owner/inventor used to sell the rights for a very small amount. The guy that owns the patent now has made it a little prettier and it is a nice tool, which holds a sphere full of balls so you don't have to "pick up" anything.

Not suggesting any other method is better or worse, just marveling at how clever the actual tool is. It's a neat item. I just need the $500 tool, not the $1500 book of ideas it comes with.