Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it bother anyone else?

Does it bother anyone else?

There is a commercial for the DROID (a cell phone, plus) that brags about its beauty, speed, and easy of use among other things. In the commercial, they make a reference to it as being as easy as slicing a warm banana with a circular saw. BUT, if I saw correctly, the saw they use is a table saw!

Now, I know we, here on this and any other WW forum, are in the minority of the population that can tell the difference between the two, but HOW does that get by the people who make, edit, produce, and distribute the commercial?

That would be like talking about elk and showing a moose. AAAAH, its a horned deer...whatever! Um, no, they are antlers, not horns....aaaaaand they are quite different.

Anyway, each time I've seen the commercial, I wonder if any of you guys noticed it, too.

And NO, I don't have my P's in a bunch. Just struck my "bothers me" bone.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Maybe I take my knowledge for granted, but I tend to think most people know the difference between a circular saw and a table saw. So I can see how this would strike your "bothers me" bone. Heck, it may even be OK to have your panties in a bunch over it.

Well, technically a table saw IS a circular saw, as opposed to a reciprocating saw.

Advertising people don't feel bound by the truth. When I was working, I saw an ad for a technical conference in New Orleans and they had a picture of a chef ladling out some gumbo. But in the text they referred to it as jambalaya.

I sent them a polite note and explained the difference between gumbo and jambalaya and received a response saying that they just felt that the word "Jambalaya" sounded better, so that's what they used. I suppose they felt that most of the world didn't know what gumbo or jambalaya was, so the advertising people could call it what they wanted.

I can picture one of the attendees going to a NO restaurant and ordering jambalaya and being surprised by what was served.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Well, technically a table saw IS a circular saw, as opposed to a reciprocating saw.
    Yet you know everyone here would give you completely different answers if you asked how to set the 45 degree stop on your circular saw. They would ask, "Is it Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita." Not "Is it Jet, Powermatic, or Delta."

Anyone know how to get good reception on a Radio Arm Saw?

Mine is a Radio Alarm Saw. Just have to mess with the dial, and slap it a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Exactly. Any saw that has a round blade that rotates to cut is a "circular saw". That said, in general use, most folks, when they hear "circular saw" see in their mind a hand-held tool, rather than a stationary machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So a dremel with a cutoff wheel is now a circular saw?

Blog Entries
    As noted advertising people don't seem to feel bound to properly research their subject matter, it's all about glitz and making an ad that the advertiser thinks will sell his product.

Look at all the myths surrounding honey bees. They don't live in round ball shaped hives hanging from trees, nor do the males do any work in the hive per the Disney movie and if they sting you the die, they don't recover in a hospital. And wasps, even those that sound like Ricardo Monteban, don't go to flowers..

I would bet that a survey of 100 random people in any shopping mall would show that at least 70% don't know the difference between a circular saw and a table saw. Both have round blades therefore they are circular...
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would bet that a survey of 100 random people in any shopping mall would show that at least 70% don't know the difference between a circular saw and a table saw. Both have round blades therefore they are circular...
    Even my mother knows that you use a table saw to make tables and a circular saw makes round holes. Geeesh!

Edit.... actually, that's pretty close to the truth if you consider a 4" hole cutting saw on the end of a drill, huh?
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 12-09-2009 at 8:20 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Well, that settles it! I won't be buying a DROID from anybody that doesn't know the difference.

BTW, what's a Droid?
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I saw R2D2, a circular droid in Star Wars
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I would agree that most people would not know the difference. My FIL to-be refers to his miter saw as a table saw on a regular basis. When I found out he was researching dado blades I was thinking he wanted to put them on his miter saw. This time I was wrong. He was trying to find a set for his circular saw. It scares me a little every time I see him heading to the garage.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Why can't we just go back to calling them buzzsaws?