Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's pretty, but what is it?

It's pretty, but what is it?

Making some bowls for Christmas presents. I picked this up at a bin sale at Hibdon Hardwoods a couple years ago. Don't remember what it was and when I started it was dirty and had the bark on and couldn't tell. It's pretty nice looking but I still don't know what it is. No finish on it at this point. It's not domestic, that much I remember. Madrone burl, maybe?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Looks like that will be one fine bowl when it's done Gary..

(Is that "I can't remember" a sign of age)

No idea of what kind of burl this is but it sure is going to be pretty once it is finished! Looking forward to seeing that!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I don't have a clue what the wood is but it sure is going to be a pretty bowl. Make sure you post it finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Gary,

It looks good to me, but please post a profile pic when you can.

It may be Madrone burl.. and that is a domestic.

Here is one I turned a few years ago. It really pops when you hit it with the Waterlox.

Best wishes,

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty wood, and I like the shape. Don't think madrone as the color seems off for madrone... it's usually more of a pink color. Could be just about any kind of burl. I can't wait to see the pictures with the finish on it.

Nice wood, hard to really see the grain that well though, once you finish it im guessing itll look fantastic.

I got one of those burls when you did. Definitly not Madrone. Unfortunately my CRS disease is acting up. All I can remember is that it was from Mexico (I asked one of the guys where it came from) because I didn't recognize the name. Pretty sure it began with a "C" though. I used to have a link to a site that listed trees and their native range, but can't find it.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Sandy thinks it started with a "C" as well. I couldn't even remember that.

OK. Somebody suggested Chechen. I've never seen Chechen burl. Anyone out there have any opinions?

seems like you have some wonder wood...
    nice bowl

I had a chechen burl slab a year ago that I cut into pen blanks. It's certainly possible that this is chechen, but it doesn't look much like the piece I had. Actually, your wood is much prettier than what I had, but maybe mine was just a lower grade burl. I still want to see some finished pics.

Here's a link to a picture of a box with a chechen burl lid... this is pretty much what my stuff looks like.

http://tgw-website.com/WoodWorking/Html/Pics/Bp0641.jpg
    Last edited by David E Keller; 12-08-2009 at 8:44 PM. Reason: added link

Pretty sure it wasn't Chechen. It was definitely not a name I had heard before, and I have heard and seen Chechen...probably at Hibdon. It is possible that it is something we know by another name, since some woods vary by name from country to country. I'll keep looking!

Mark

It looks like a claro or black walnut burl...like this one that Frank Parker turned.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84570

Hi Gary,

Here is a Chechen Natural edge burl turned. It could be it. Mexico origin I was told.

http://www.bowlturner.com/Chechen_copy.jpg

Dave