Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Engraving on metal compound $20 for one year

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Allen View Post
    As an avid cermarker, I've had some challenges getting this to work. The first, the plaster of paris tried to act...well....like plaster of paris It started to set after the 1:1 mix. Not one to be daunted, I put a drop of dish soap and some denatured alcohol in the mix and stirred on and off over the evening. It clumped very quickly when I tried to paint it on. It might take more power than cermark, my standard setting on the one piece I got so-so application on held at about 50%. It is, however, a very well bonded 50% So far, getting it suspended in a solution of the right mix to airbrush hasn't worked out, it seems to settle much faster than cermark and blocks up the tube and brush. I'm thinking more dish soap. Any chance there's some advanced application notes?

Hello and thank you for your comment, You could replace the Chrome polish with alcohol and you can even over reduce the formula with alcohol to be able to spray it, after all the real magic is in the Plaster of Paris. Make sure to wait till the formula completely dries before you engrave.

We don't like to spray due to the fact that spray guns and airbrushes make lots of overspray which is not so good for your lungs if you don't have the right equipment and also they are very hard to clean(time consuming). Good luck and let us know your findings.

Best regards
    Surge
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-06-2009 at 8:41 AM. Reason: removed link
    Machinaria M350 laser engraver
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

[QUOTE=Sergio Arze;1275720]Hello and thank you for your comment, You could replace the Chrome polish with alcohol and you can even over reduce the formula with alcohol to be able to spray it, after all the real magic is in the Plaster of Paris. Make sure to wait till the formula completely dries before you engrave.

We don't like to spray due to the fact that spray guns and airbrushes make lots of overspray which is not so good for your lungs if you don't have the right equipment and also they are very hard to clean(time consuming). Good luck and let us know your findings.

Best regards
    Surge

Thanks much, I wondered if the chrome polish was chemically necessary I really appreciate you sharing the process in any case, I had been wondering if there might be an alternative, especially for other colors than black. Recon I'll be playing chemist this weekend
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-06-2009 at 8:40 AM. Reason: removed link
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

So it's plaster of paris and alcohol? Wow.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    Great Sergio, thank you for sharing this ! I'll definitely try it on ceramics.

do you have recommendations for the settings ?

Thanks again, Andrea

well it really depends I use 80% power and anywhere from 5% to 15% speed depending on the metal.
    Best regards
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-06-2009 at 8:40 AM. Reason: removed link
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Sergio,

I imagine you have experimented a bit with this, so to save us a bit more time have you tried mixing pigments to get a color such as these;

http://www.directcolors.com/concrete...FRPxDAoddTCrog

It appears in your photo that the engraving shows up as "frosted", does this change in density and color with the increase in power or speed of the laser, or does it reach a "maximum" effect?

Have you tried a photo yet?

Thanks for your willingness to share your discovery!
    If you search through past posts you'll discover this
    is a process many have tried to find that can provide the quality and consistantcy that we want.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Sergio,

I imagine you have experimented a bit with this, so to save us a bit more time have you tried mixing pigments to get a color such as these;

http://www.directcolors.com/concrete...FRPxDAoddTCrog

It appears in your photo that the engraving shows up as "frosted", does this change in density and color with the increase in power or speed of the laser, or does it reach a "maximum" effect?

Have you tried a photo yet?

Thanks for your willingness to share your discovery!
    If you search through past posts you'll discover this
    is a process many have tried to find that can provide the quality and consistantcy that we want.

Marty
    We are here to help!!

sorry but I have not tried the pigmented cement so I can not comment on that. you may download the color separation chart (removed link) at the bottom of the page. this will allow you o engrave at different speeds to give you different results.

you can do photos

Best regards.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-06-2009 at 8:46 AM. Reason: removed link
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Well, it appears that omitting the Chrome polish and using denatured alcohol works pretty well for spraying. After lasering it won't stick to nickel plating like cermark, but it did do an excellent job on a piece of aluminum. I tried the power changes for color, no change on a test grid modified for my power levels, it always looks kind of white/grey. Still, nifty so far If you're experimenting with spraying, don't use dish soap. It settles the mixture at an almost visible rate and makes it gooey enough to plug a spray gun and tubes, even a small drop.
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Allen View Post
    Well, it appears that omitting the Chrome polish and using denatured alcohol works pretty well for spraying. After lasering it won't stick to nickel plating like cermark, but it did do an excellent job on a piece of aluminum. I tried the power changes for color, no change on a test grid modified for my power levels, it always looks kind of white/grey. Still, nifty so far If you're experimenting with spraying, don't use dish soap. It settles the mixture at an almost visible rate and makes it gooey enough to plug a spray gun and tubes, even a small drop.

I received an email from a cnc user, he said that he is getting good results spraying the formula reduced by weight ratio of 1:1 one part Plaster of Paris and one part rubbing alcohol. Application is by air gun nozzle: 1.3 HVLP ,pressure: 15psi, fan size: medium, spraying distance 8". Drying time he said is anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes and formula can be reused again by adding more alcohol.

Also I have been working on a new product but I still need to do some more testing, I will let you guys know what it is soon enough.

Best regards to all
    Sergio Arze
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-06-2009 at 8:37 AM. Reason: removed link
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Sergio

I sent a pm requesting that you not include links to your site in your posts. Please comply.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Sergio

I sent a pm requesting that you not include links to your site in your posts. Please comply.
    Sure that is not a problem.

Best regards
    Sergio Arze
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Metal engrave Power speed color separation Chart

sorry guys I was asked to remove all links

so I'm uploading the Metal engrave Power speed color separation Chart. hope this helps.

Format .cdr coreldraw X3
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sergio Arze; 12-06-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Arze View Post
    sorry guys I was asked to remove all links
    Sergio, there shouldn't be any as it's against the terms of service to post links to your own commercial website. I think many people on this post appreciate your help and support on what you're doing with metal marking, but there are many other people on this forum that sell lasers, equipment, and materials and they are not allowed to post their sites either. It's considered free advertising and it's not allowed. You should talk to Keith Outten, the owner of the forum and see about paid advertising if you wish to display links to your site.

I'm not a moderator, and not affiliated with Sawmill Creek in any way, but I'm sure someone can help you if you have any questions.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Sergio, there shouldn't be any as it's against the terms of service to post links to your own commercial website. I think many people on this post appreciate your help and support on what you're doing with metal marking, but there are many other people on this forum that sell lasers, equipment, and materials and they are not allowed to post their sites either. It's considered free advertising and it's not allowed. You should talk to Keith Outten, the owner of the forum and see about paid advertising if you wish to display links to your site.

I'm not a moderator, and not affiliated with Sawmill Creek in any way, but I'm sure someone can help you if you have any questions.
    Thanks Scott. I will edit my last post. Now back to engraving on Metal compound
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Hmmm I wonder if pre-mix Drywall compound as a thin paste or spray would work?
    I'd love to play with this, but I never have enough time during business hours.. Non business hours are too absorbed by non business stuff
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    ...it's against the terms of service to post links to your own commercial website.
    Or links of any kind in the signature, if I'm not mistaken.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.