Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Engraving on metal compound $20 for one year

1. Wow that is awesome!
    So does the laser make the shiny surface permanent? How precise can you be with the edges? Is it almost like cermark?

Thanks for posting this, I'll give it a try! (as soon as I locate the right chrome polish)

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Arze View Post
    ...check the picture I have attached, it is a polished Hard drive metal disk.
    Those are aluminum, right?

Hmmm...if it works on aluminum and steel, it's probably not a chemical reaction like gun blueing. Which means it might work on ceramics too.

This could be very very cool.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Those are aluminum, right?

Hmmm...if it works on aluminum and steel, it's probably not a chemical reaction like gun blueing. Which means it might work on ceramics too.

This could be very very cool.
    it works great on aluminum and steel!!!
    Personally I have not tried it on ceramics because I have been only doing metals with it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-04-2009 at 9:40 PM. Reason: removed link
    Machinaria M350 laser engraver
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Sergio,

You mentioned a ketchup consistency, how thick is this formula to be "coated" on the metal. Also, does it need to be completely dry?

Bruce
    Hello and sorry for the delay but the forums were down.

for best results I make sure I put a layer thick enough so that it is not see through . The formula does not need to dry but it does not make a difference, you may start engraving as soon as you are done applying it to the part to be engraved.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-04-2009 at 9:40 PM. Reason: removed link
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hayes View Post
    I have to ask, what in the world made you ever think of mixing Plaster of Paris and Mothers Chrome together??

Very interesting and ingenious.

Thank you
    I had a Dream!!
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

That is pretty COOL..... I can see it now.... Interested parties mixing up ingredients from under the sink just to see what it does.... Brasso and Baking Powder ?....

Add that to the "I got FLAME oooooO!!!" Group here..... The next BIG IDEA.... (Flame Polishers)

But Seriously..... THANKS !!!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Well thanks for posting. I will have to try it. Sound great. I have some metal to mark for a friend so will pick up supplies tomorrow. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner
    Trotec Speedy 300 45w, Xenetch 1313, Signature 8080 Plus, Baby Lock EM6

Great Sergio, thank you for sharing this ! I'll definitely try it on ceramics.

do you have recommendations for the settings ?

Thanks again, Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Mix ratio by weight: 1 part Plaster of Paris, 1 part Mothers Chrome Polish, or to make it easier, mix till you have a ketchup like consistency. I mix

Ok anyone know if there is another brand name for Mothers chrome polish? I'd also like to see some more results from others.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Ok anyone know if there is another brand name for Mothers chrome polish? I'd also like to see some more results from others.
    You could try just a generic chrome polish, Frank, but most bikers swear by the Mothers brand. I'm not sure what makes it the best but whatever it is, it might be what makes it perfect for this application.

Thanks Sergio! What can we add to make it mark black?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I looked to see if there was an MSDS for Mothers Chrome Polish - nothing on their website, so clearly the bikers don't care if it is poisonous or not.
    Not knowing the constituents, I can't compare brands - Mothers is, however, available mail-order in the UK www.mothersshop.co.uk.

This is only of academic interest to me - I have a 5-year old unopened tub of Cermark which cost me £100 : I will use that up first before playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    I looked to see if there was an MSDS for Mothers Chrome Polish - nothing on their website, so clearly the bikers don't care if it is poisonous or not.
    Not knowing the constituents, I can't compare brands - Mothers is, however, available mail-order in the UK www.mothersshop.co.uk.

This is only of academic interest to me - I have a 5-year old unopened tub of Cermark which cost me £100 : I will use that up first before playing!

Mother's polish composition

Isopropanol 000067-63-0
    2-Butoxyethanol 000111-76-2
    Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate 025155-30-0

Hope this helps.
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel
    do you have recommendations for the settings ?
    See post #13: his machine is 35W.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

As an avid cermarker, I've had some challenges getting this to work. The first, the plaster of paris tried to act...well....like plaster of paris It started to set after the 1:1 mix. Not one to be daunted, I put a drop of dish soap and some denatured alcohol in the mix and stirred on and off over the evening. It clumped very quickly when I tried to paint it on. It might take more power than cermark, my standard setting on the one piece I got so-so application on held at about 50%. It is, however, a very well bonded 50% So far, getting it suspended in a solution of the right mix to airbrush hasn't worked out, it seems to settle much faster than cermark and blocks up the tube and brush. I'm thinking more dish soap. Any chance there's some advanced application notes?
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years