Thread: Attaching a clock face

Attaching a clock face

Hello all, I'm building a few wall clocks, I'm going to use MDF or plywood for the face support. My question is how or what do you use to attach the face to the support board, one face/dial is paper and the other is metal, I bought two different kits. Also any tips for an easy/fast finish? Clocks are cherry and walnut. Thanks Pat

You can use spray contact cement to attach the clock face. You can buy it as photo-mount adhesive, in photo shops and decorating places. Or you can buy it at Home Depot -- 3M's 77 adhesive.

Wood finish: MinWax Wipe-on Poly.

Use the 3M Photo Mount and spray a light coat on the paper half. The MDF can have a heavier coat, but let it dry until tacky. Be real sure to have the face aligned before the two halves touch, as you won't be able to pull them apart.

The 3M "77" stuff may soak thru the paper and ruin the look of the face. It would be a better choice for the metal face. You may even be able to use common contact cement with the metal face.

John

I'e done both paper and metal clock dials attached to MDF. I've found that using the memory book glue dots works the best for me. If you make a mistake aligning the dial you have a chance of fixing it when using the glue dots. I've had no problems, even with metal dials, of the dial separating from the MDF backer with the glue dots.

I do not recommend using spray adhesive with paper dials as its way too easy to soak through the paper dial.