Thread: Design problem, under the deck

Design problem, under the deck

The new house in NC has a enormous deck, about 1,000 SF. As you can see from the photos, it's up in the air and as you drive up the driveway it's a prominent part of the view.

I'm planning on a new patio under it with a new outside door from the den, either stamped concrete or pavers... I've got a plan to deal with dressing up all of those posts (cultured stone bases, etc.) but landscaping will only go so far towards screening the ugly underbelly of the beast.

My question is... what can I do about the following:

I'd like to catch the rain as it comes through the deck boards to help keep patio furniture and the patio clean(er).

I need to screen the underside of the deck for esthetics, it's ugly. Power washing and a nice paint job isn't unreasonable but will still not address the rain.

Anyone have any ideas/dealt with this kind of thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Something like this?
    http://underdeck.com/
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

WOW! Thanks. I didn't think about just googleing it... I guess I'm not alone with this problem.

This looks way too cool.

Actually, this one looks a bit easier to deal with:

http://www.drysnap.com/index.html

I seem to remember someone here posting a similar project either this past summer or the one before. He made his under deck roof from scratch. The problem is, I can't find the post. Maybe you'd have better luck with the search.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I have seen one done with solid vinyl soffit sloped to a gutter

was done a lot cheaper than the 6-7 sqft for the under deck materials...
    Last edited by phil harold; 12-02-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Cleaning the underdeck must be an interesting problem. It would collect the spilled sodas and food from the top deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    I seem to remember someone here posting a similar project either this past summer or the one before. He made his under deck roof from scratch. The problem is, I can't find the post. Maybe you'd have better luck with the search.
    I have finally found it. Allan Lilly posted about his deck in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=1#post1284803
    That was what I was thinking of.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.