Thread: Acrylic routing

Acrylic routing

Hi

I have a makita router with 21k rpm, often using this router for mdf plaques. when i use acrylic routing, i do find a lot of lines, even after polishing it still exists

We usually, try to remove this lines by knives and peel the acrylic thru hand and polish using emery wheel

Any special tool available for this to reduce time

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
    Saravanakumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

Saravanakumar there are basically only a couple of tools that can fix those. One is a very expensive machine called a diamond edge polisher which will give you the best result. The next is a flame polisher or microflame generator. Oxyocetelene equipment can do the same but the heat is a big problem or you could use a blow torch with a small flame.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Would it be of any help to put a fabric pad on the base of the router before doing acrylic?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangarajan Saravana kumar View Post
    Hi

I have a makita router with 21k rpm, often using this router for mdf plaques. when i use acrylic routing, i do find a lot of lines, even after polishing it still exists

We usually, try to remove this lines by knives and peel the acrylic thru hand and polish using emery wheel

Any special tool available for this to reduce time

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
    Saravanakumar
    Saravanakumar

Are these lines scratches from the router base or are they from the cutter that you are using?

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Hi,

The cutter is producing this scratch like lines , we need use a knife to level the acrylic on sides and then buff

I have drawn from corel to express my problem , as i am not able to get clear picture thru camera
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangarajan Saravana kumar View Post
    Hi,

The cutter is producing this scratch like lines , we need use a knife to level the acrylic on sides and then buff

I have drawn from corel to express my problem , as i am not able to get clear picture thru camera

Have you tried a Multi-Grind Solid Carbide Spiral "O" Bit?
    These bit give a very good finish when cutting acrylic. Many Bit suppliers offer these bits, they are spendy tho.

Neal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks a lot

Let me try and give a feedback

Regards
    Saravana kumar