Thread: Custom profiles for custom furniture? CNC verses a shaper.

Blog Entries

Custom profiles for custom furniture? CNC verses a shaper.

One of the many pluses of a CNC machine is the ability to use ball mill and end mill bits to create custom profiles from CAD artwork.

The process is simple. The profile is drawn in a CAD program and that profile is then swept along a rail curve to produce a 3D model in the computer of the needed parts. For an experienced CAD artist, this process can take as little as 5 minutes to match the customer's profile request.

The 3D models are then toolpathed and simulated to ensure that the finished product will match the profile with the minimum amount of finishing required. In other words, it needs to look like it came off of a shaper that had custom knives made for it.

When the appropriate toolpaths have been post processed, the machine is ready to make chips.

In the case of this headboard, I used a half inch ball mill and a 10MM end mill to match the customer's requested profile.

CAD/CAM operations took 30 minutes. Machine time for the curved headboard top and the mirrored uprights took just under 2 hours. This includes setup and breakdown time of the CNC machine, stock positioning and repair of the one piece of walnut that tore away from one of the uprights.

If you were to use a shaper and are fortunate enough to be able to make your own knives you can probably make this in the same amount of time. If you have to order knives...

A CNC machine can be your best ally in a shop when it comes to turn around time. Even the simplest bits can be used to create dramatic profiles. When you couple that with the fact that you can use just about any of your existing router bits as well... (yes even the ones with guide bearings on them) you can see why a CNC Machine should be the next employee that you hire.

Next posting by me...

CAMaster makes a grand entrance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Nice work, what is that thing located to the left of the z axis on the gantry in a few of the pictures.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    Nice work, what is that thing located to the left of the z axis on the gantry in a few of the pictures.
    Mike,

Beer holder! Just kidding.

It holds the dust boot and is air accuated to move away from the cutter for bit changes. I rarely use the dust collector for 1's however, when doing production cuts on proofed programs I will use it then.

For 1's I want be able to see the cutter at all times.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

but it could also double as a pneumatically actuated beer holder if you wanted it to.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

yesterday we needed a small amount of 3/8" thick x 3/4" dentil mould for a pulpit we are building, one of the guys said he could do it faster than i on a slider with me on the cnc.

i won and mine was much better looking!!

jim

here is a video of that dust foot in action, i believe new waves machine works the same way.
    jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfzDhI0wyLs

hey Guy, did you horizontal rough then use a Horizontal finishing toolpath on this? Looks good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mims View Post
    hey Guy, did you horizontal rough then use a Horizontal finishing toolpath on this? Looks good
    Eric,

Yes on the roughing. However I used a projection pocketing tool path for the profile shape with the ball mill, and a profile cut for the 10MM clean up passes for the ball mill radius.

Guy

Guy

Did your router follow vector lines to cut the desired design or did it cut by rastering back and forth?
    George

Blog Entries
    George,

Only for the 10MM bit. The curved profile was done as a 3D because we were matching a profile detail that a customer sent to us. The 3D aspect of the profile was carved using the ball mill with a projection pocket tool path.

Guy