Thread: Accessories Needed for Delta 46-460?

Accessories Needed for Delta 46-460?

After watching woodturning episodes on a public TV channel and surfing this forum for a while I've decided to delve into the hobby. I'm in early stages of the "flatwork" side of woodworking but have never used a lathe. I want to turn spindles, bowls, boxes, etc., maybe hollow forms later.

I've decided to purchase the Delta 46-460 midi lathe and the bed extension. Included with the lathe are 3" face plate, 6" tool rest, 10" tool rest, ball-bearing live center, and a heavy-duty steel knockout bar.

Apart from lathe tools and sharpening system, what other accessories do I need to get started?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by Ned Ladner; 11-29-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Typo

Hello, I would get a good 4 jaw chuck. You have many differents one to chose from and I'm sure you will find all to be good. Just stay with a name brand and remember the jaws do not interchange form one brand of a chuck to a different band. Good luck and welcome to the turners world. I'm sure from now on you will make most of the gifts that you give away. Roger

Another faceplate or two, a chuck, some wood & get ready to have some fun. Actually you can start with what you listed, you will accumulate other stuff fast enough. The most important addition would be some time spent with another turner. There is a bit of a learning curve and a few hours of instruction will save many hours of learning the hard way.

I would invest in some dvd's for the type of work you want to start with - this will teach you some of the basics. Also join a club. You'll be amazed at what you will learn.

Agree with what Jeff said. You will have enough to get going with what you listed. Practice wood and time will put you well on your way. Have fun. Get ready to give away a lot of stuff and maybe sell a little-even better.

I'd put the additional faceplates further down the list, a 4 jaw chuck would be near the top, though you can surely get started without it. The red handles set of lathe tools from Harbor Freight is a good way to get started tool wise, then you can add better tools as you go. This is for spindle turning, there isn't a bowl gouge in the kit, but it's best to start with spindle turning anyway.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Ned - Welcome to the Vortex! In addition to the good advice given so far, I suggest getting with your local woodturning club. They consist of members that are willing to help out a new turner and it is a lot easier to learn when someone shows you -vs- teaching yourself. Plus a lot of times they have a DVD library that you can check out instead of buying.

Have fun with it! It is extremely addicting! Looking forward to seeing your lathe gloat as well as your first turnings!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You did not mention a drive center, though I expect that's an oversite, If not, I would recommend a steb style center for spindle work. I start between centers to turn a tenon (or mortice) for a bowl before mounting it in a scroll chuck which would be my next purchase and be sure to get a screw chuck (worm screw) to go with it.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

As someone who is only a few days ahead of you I'm in the buying mode now to. I will pick up the same lathe as you this Friday but I have also been checking Craigs List everyday.

I picked up a Talon Chuck plus a second set of jaws (most people here seem to like them), about 10 or so Sorby tools, 30 pen kits plus all the other pin making stuff and some fancy wood.

I really only wanted the chuck and never really thought about making pens but I may have to try that to.

I guess I'm in the Vortex now, I buying everything but the lathe, not shure where that puts me!

So keep your eyes on Craigs List, you never know what you will find.

Jay