Thread: Largest Collection of Old Tools

Blog Entries

Largest Collection of Old Tools

Interesting, if ever in the area it might be a good stop on the trip.

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/tool-hunter/31996.html

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The actual subject of the DIY video:

http://www.sindelarmuseum.com/

Looks like a must-see to me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link Jim, I was planning on looking for a site on the museum but got side tracked for a while.

Those are some beautiful planes.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

You're welcome, Jim. Apparently he's quite the practicing woodworker too:

http://www.sindelarfinewoodworkingin...o_Sindelar.php

His client list looks pretty impressive, though I didn't see a link to a gallery.

While I was watching the video, I was wondering how he could possibly afford that hobby - spending 10s of thousands of dollars for many of his pieces - multiplied by the thousands (3+ acquisitions/week) of pieces in his collection. He's obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about it, and I suspect he's a very well-known, respected, and profitable tool trader as well. But still, there's got to be 8 figures worth of tools there.

I also noticed that he's located very near the RV Capital of the world (Elkhart, Indiana). I wonder if he gets any commissions for customizing some of the rolling palaces that I'm sure are built there? I guess I'll just have to go some day and ask him...

Blog Entries
    I guess I'll just have to go some day and ask him...
    Well, you are a lot closer than I am, so you will likely get there first. Let us know what you find out.

jim

The Midwest Tool Collectors had a meeting at Sindelars a few years ago and it is truly an amazing place. He doesn't just have one of everything. He has multiples of everything. I remember seeing a wheelbarrow full of screw-arm plows and thinking I was fortunate to have just one of them. Most tools are out in the open and not locked inside display cabinets. At the time John was talking about finding a permanent home for the collection. If you are ever in the area it is well worth a visit.

The funny thing is that I lived in Elkhart for 5 years, and for one of those worked in Edwardsburg. And I never heard of him.

That collection looks great though. Next time I visit I will have to check it out.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

The Midwest Tool Collectors had a meeting at Sindelars a few years ago and it is truly an amazing place. He doesn't just have one of everything. He has multiples of everything. I remember seeing a wheelbarrow full of screw-arm plows and thinking I was fortunate to have just one of them. Most tools are out in the open and not locked inside display cabinets. At the time John was talking about finding a permanent home for the collection. If you are ever in the area it is well worth a visit.
    That meet was quite an experience. I went up for the parking lot swap meet with no idea of the real scope of the program. I got to meet Patrick Leach, Chris Schwarz, and a couple of other neander notables. John's shop is about three miles from my house. I knew he did custom cabinet work but I had no idea he had such a collection.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Tom,
    I was at that meet, and attached is a pic of that wheelbarrow, my thought was that the man had more than his fair share of plow planes.
    The second shot is of a Wooton Patent desk, and there are four (!!!) panther handled saws arrayed on it.
    Mike

whellbarrow.JPG

wooton desk.JPG
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

You know, every time I look at this thread, I feel compelled to look at the site again. Then, I look at my Record 050c, and think about all those planes again.

Enough to make a grown man cry out of jealousy, I tell you!
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

In that video, about 53 seconds in, there is a hammer with a claw that curves all the way back and wraps around the handle. Anyone know anything about this?

Holy Jamoly !

I think we should have a SMC Neander Rendezvous there. Anybody up for a field trip ? That is just an incredible assemblage of history.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Don,
    that is a great idea! However, his display is attached to his business and as such, is not open to the public. When I went, it was because he was hosting a MWTCA meeting. He was/is attempting to raise enough money to build a "museum" to hold his tool collection and open that to the public. Not sure where he is on that project.
    Some of the rooms were display areas, others were offices that were filled with tools for weekend.
    If however, he HAS opened to the public, then count me in! I would love to go back.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!