Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your Bible

What is your Bible

Machinists call Machinery's Handbook their Bible, and most Machinist's Tool Chests have a Large Narrow Drawer at the middle top of the Chest specifically to hold the Bible.

As a Galoot Woodworker, My Bibles are "The Practical Woodworker" and "The Complete Woodworker" both edited by Bernard E. Jones, and 4 or 5 books on Shaker Furniture, I like the clean simple lines that go with any decor.

What do you use for your Bible or Bibles?
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

The Bible!

Oh....you must mean in terms of woodworking.

Woodcarving Illustrated.

Tourniquets the complete idiots guide to applying with one hand...

Haven't got a bible for woodworking yet..

I like the Jones books you have mentioned. Also the Cabinetmakers encyclopedia, Earnest Joyce, I believe. My all time favorites are by Aldren Watson, "Country Furniture" and "Hand tools their ways and working." Love his drawings.
    Gentleman Jim

SMC is my go-to reference most of the time, that and I have your phone number!!!
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I have a bible for corded tools...

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...75#post1270175

Need one for hand tools one day...

The book I seem to crack the most is a book by Albert Sack called The New Fine Points Of Furniture Early American. It is loaded with pictures and short descriptions of what he thinks are the subtle features that distinguishes the masterpieces from the average.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

While I find it handy to not have a bible, but a Library, one I bought after reading about it, and enjoy, is the Audel's carpenters and builders series.

I also guess some of what we read, is based on how/what we have learned. Norm and this old house was more of my teacher, while my father is a teacher that is inbetween Red Green and Tim Taylor.

I realy like the first book of Krenov, "Cabinet maker note book" and " The fine art of cabinetmaking. I also like, if it count as a "bible", Woodworking Magazine. As a hand tool only woodworker, I can't wait to get my copy of Tom fidgen book, "Made By Hand".

The George Lamsa translation.

For hand tool woodworking however, The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee.

Bob

Randall, my Library of old technical manuals pertaining to Blacksmithing and Machinist books (top section), Woodworking (second from top), Audels Manuals (3rd from top), History (bottom).

And now an additonal one on top to take the overflow and tall ones, that is a prototype for my First Floor Library under construction (approx) 3000 volumes.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Tage Frid always seems to have an answer for me.

Jim B

Harry - Depends. If you mean a reference for furniture styles, then Jeffrey Greene's "American Furniture of the 18th Century" for me. Joinery is Charles Hayward's "Carpentry for Beginners" and "Woodwork Joints".

BTW - That 2nd edition John Walter's Stanley Tools book is worth about $500 in some venues. If your shop is damp, I'd consider moving it to the house. Same goes for some of the blacksmith reference guides - they go for big money on e-bay.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    SMC is my go-to reference most of the time ....
    +1. But there are several classics out there I haven't read yet, so my answer could change.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Machinists call Machinery's Handbook their Bible, and most Machinist's Tool Chests have a Large Narrow Drawer at the middle top of the Chest specifically to hold the Bible.

As a Galoot Woodworker, My Bibles are "The Practical Woodworker" and "The Complete Woodworker" both edited by Bernard E. Jones, and 4 or 5 books on Shaker Furniture, I like the clean simple lines that go with any decor.

What do you use for your Bible or Bibles?
    Gosh there are so many, but If I had to narrow it down to 3 and if they had to be from the last 30 years, it would be:

and

make that 4:

It is so hard to narrow it down, but these 4 are essential

Matthew