Thread: Thick Ash bowl

1. Thick Ash bowl

Getting ready for a show next weekend and trying to add some variety... not much to say about this one except it is thick.

Nice grain to the wood but to me it looks plain. Just took a class from Nick Cook and maybe try burning the rim with a torch to give it some color, or break in the inside and outside areas of the bowl.
    But it still comes down to I don't care what you turn someone out there is going to like it and buy it. We all have different tastes in what looks good to us they may hate.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

3. Rick, my wife said the same thing to me earlier... that it needs something like the burning you mentioned. I'll have to study on that. Thanks for the feedback.

Mark that is a good looking bowl. Nice grain, color and looks like a little spalting.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, I guess I am on the other side of the coin from Rick cause I like it as is. I like the way the grain of the outside of the bowl continues - uninterrupted - across the wide lip and to the inside. Even though the lip has fairly sharp angles, your eyes can follow the grain and that gives the piece a sense of flow.

Best of luck with your upcoming show Mark! Judging by all work you have been posting the last couple of weeks - you should have no problem at all with sales!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

+1 on the great as is. If I ever take up bowls, that's one I'll copy.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Agreed, I like it as is.

I like it the way it is, but I tend to like thicker bowls anyway. Nice job - you do a great job with your photo's too.

very nice...

Bowl

This is what is was suggesting to do for a burn edge.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

This piece really flows. Nice job...Bill...

Mark,

I like it the way it is. The thick rim allows the grain to continue it's flow.

Burning it would detract from the natural beauty of the wood.

JMHO .......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like it as is... The burning always looks dirty to me unless it's contained within a detail or somehow sharply demarcated from non-burned wood.