Thread: Pick guard update

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.

Pick guard update

A while back I asked for a vector of a stratocaster pickguard. I ended up just drawing one and said I would post the result, so here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Blog Entries
    Too small to see anything of detail...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Pictures Updated

Tom here are your updated pics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Pick guard pic

I think this might be slightly better
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

I'm trying to understand what I'm looking at... Is the Zebra-print guard the vectored product? Is it one material or is the black and white seperate and just pieced together? Looks cool...

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    It's one piece white over black vector cut out shape, holes, screws, etc. and raster engrave the white off to reveal black underneath.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Now I feel like an idiot... It was so simple I didn't assume the obvious! I like it, and being a guitar player myself, I've been thinking about making something similar. Was this for a customer or yourself? Is it 1/16" plastic stock?

That's my son, it's 1/8 LaserMax that I got from BF Plastics (they are GREAT to deal with.
    Tom Bull

Tom that is a very nice job. Looks very cool. I also love the wood lettering on the end.
    Joe Hayes
    CRS

Epilog Legend EXT 75 Watt, Epilog Legend 70 Watt,
    Xenetech 16x25 Rotary, Vinyl cutters, ect.

Looks fantastic Tom. Good shape for the text too.
    Epilog Helix 45W w/Rotary, Corel 12, PhotoGrav

Backside

Tom, some of the after market pick guards for Stratocasters have a metalized tape on the backside. Did you have to put anything on the back of this pick guard? It looks like the pics got you some more responses. Glad I could assist with a procedure for you. I wrote it all down and my wife asked why I hadn't done that for her. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Did you consider reverse engraving on clear acrylic coated with black on the back then using a white color fill?

The advantage would be the smoothness of the surface.

I like what you did so don't consider this a criticism---just another idea.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Steve,
    Yes we spray mounted some aluminum foil to the same area that the original guard was covered.
    I really do appreciate your help with the photos, and your turorial you sent is going to be printed out and put in my folder of cheat sheets. My wife and I do the same, that is I make little step-by-step sheets for processes that she and I seldom use, but yet know they will come up again someday.
    Last edited by Tom Bull; 12-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Tom Bull

Mike, actually did something like that. The acrylic was more brittle than the LaserMax and it cracked. All was not lost in that it proved the vector was accurate.
    Tom Bull