Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will pine work?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    John, That's funny (sort of). Should have specified when I say "pine" I mean kiln dried SYP construction lumber. Certainly not all pine is created equal. Just wanted to help Kenneth get started using his new Thompson gouge.

Jeff, Thanks for your support.
    Richard, No problem with the support, everything is relevent to what is available and ready to be worked at the time. A handle for a hammer would not last long and the forces applied to the pine would fracture pretty fast! But if the tool is used correctly and addressing the wood with out any large over hang, a piece of southern yellow pine or red pine, Douglas fir or spruce would hold up as long as any hardwood. Why do you think the houses made in the 1860's - 1900, made mosty of pine are still standing? Because it works for many things.

Also if the hole is tight enough in the handle there should be no need for epoxy. I have never epoxied a shaft and have not lost one yet, so the practice achieved through turning a "Pine" (used to cover all conifer trees) would be good no matter what. Function is first and asthetics are second in my world! If it looks great but performs terribly what have you gained?

Thoughts from the frugal one,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Since I didn't get around to it yesterday I am going to go down to the LOWESt price store this afternoon or tomorrow morning and get a red oak turning blank, and a brass fairing nut. At that store I am limited to red oak or poplar turning blanks, but Woodcraft and Rockler are too far away to make it worth picking up 1 item, and I don't know of any good woodworking stores on the eastside of Houston.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Use pine as a prototype

Go ahead and use the pine as a prototype. When you are happy with your design, go for the hardwood.

For a lifetime supply of ferrule material, buy a joint of 3/4" EMT metal conduit. And maybe some gold paint if it just has to look like brass. Many of my tools, jigs, and fixtures are home made and funky looking but work very well. For me it is the appearance of the finished work that matters most.
    Richard in Wimberley