Thread: Melamine - for jigs?

Melamine - for jigs?

I recently used a piece of Melamine shelving (from HD) for the base of a planer jig. However, for reasons I'll post separately, it didn't work out well and the melamine layer got worn/scraped off one section. I plan on putting somme laminate (formica) on that side to 'fix' it.

What are your thoughts on the durability of melamine versus formica laminate? I'm hoping the formica is much more durable...
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Phenolic-surfaced plywoodvs. formica-clad for jigs

If you laminate Formica to plywood, there's some risk of delamination especially if you bang up the edges, and of course you'll have a non-standard thickness. But the melamine-clad boards at HD delaminate a lot more easily, so Formica could work for you.

If you can use the sizes available at Woodcraft and are willing to pay the fairly high price, you can make very durable, smooth jigs using phenolic opkywood -- plywood that has a hard phenolic plastic surface. Phenolic is a close relative to the resorcinol resin used to make playwood and it bonds very well. It's dead flat and perfectly smooth, and you can cut it with normal woodworking tools.

Mike

I make all my jigs out of MDF and then seal it up with what ever finish I have around the shop. I will cut the finish with mineral sprits and let it soap in, 2 or 3 coats.

After it has dried I then will wax the surface good and my jigs have all lasted very well, its cheap and easy to work with.

Usually I take the belt sander and scuff up the melamine before I put the laminate. I do it all the time. Melamine makes a great cabinet interior.

I use it for jigs all the time. I have a lot of scrap pieces laying around. They seem to last a long time. Most of the jigs I make are for the shaper.

Hope that helps.

Quinn