Thread: Black Bowl with Liming Wax

Black Bowl with Liming Wax

Here is a spalted Red Oak bowl I turned. I dyed the outside with black shoe leather dye, gave it a couple coats of gloss acrylic spray and then used liming wax to add some highlights to the grain pores inside and out.

All comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God is great and life is good!

I really like it. I would love to see more photos including close ups of the inside and outside to see what the wax does. Thanks for posting.

Mike that is a great looking bowl. Would like to see a pic's of the bottom.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well that's different! Nice contrast between inside/outside of the bowl. The liming wax does break up the black and highlight the grain pores. The spalted wood on the inside of the bowl sure looks amazing! Nice work Mike!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike,
    I like the effect, particularly on the dyed outside. I have to ask "what is liming wax and where do you get it?" I'm being lazy because I know I could search for it and probably find the answer.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bob V.

Here are a couple more pictures as requested. This photography thing is still a work in progress. I just discovered the Auto Focus Lock feature to get better depth of field but still need some work with it. NOt sure how to add my name to the bottom since all of my archival pens are black!

Liming wax is simply a wax with a white pigment. I made some by mixing 50:50 of a paste wax and some white artists pigment from Michaels (recipe found by googling Liming wax). The local WC finally started carrying the Briwax Liming Wax so I bought a can for convenience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God is great and life is good!

Mike - these photos help showcase the bowl really well! Thanks!

On the hollow forms that I have dyed a dark color I use a silver fine tip paint pen. Works nice - just sign, wait a few minutes - then clear coat over it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike, I think your pictures look fine. Disagree with the finish though. Would have just done umpteen coats of lacquer and let the wood speak for itself.
    Richard in Wimberley

Interesting piece. You could burn your name or use a small burr and engrave it then cover that with the liming wax also. I saw Dixie Biggs do it at a demo when she visited our club.
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!