Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raised vs Flat Panels

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    I think the word is "substrate".
    Oh, I don't know, he may have had it right the first time. My panel glue ups are often "sub straight". Might be why my doors come out bowed?

In order to give myself the most say in the matter, I'd probably go with solid (raised or rabbeted back), or veneer my own panels. Yeah, it is more work, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I beg to disagree. "Top quality" doesn't require solid wood, nor does solid wood indicate top quality.
    /shrug

i'm rather proud of the fact that nothing i build has any plywood in it.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "Top quality" doesn't require solid wood, nor does solid wood indicate top quality."

Oh yeah? Sez who? Them's fightin' words. OK, maybe you have a point. But I would stick with my comment to this extent: A "top quality" door cannot be built with "off the rack" plywood. At least not in my world. In yours, the rules may be different. I only use manufactured plywood panels when I'm trying to cut costs. If I want "the best" laminated panels because I need to do something with veneers that would not be suitable to solid wood construction, I usually lay up my own panels. But again, that's just me...
    David, what do you use as the core when laying up your panels?

"David, what do you use as the core when laying up your panels?"

I make the core out of layers of 1/8" poplar "veneer".
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    veneered MDF is my choice. Perfectly flat, very solid feel and sound, and no telegraphing. Also, MDF core usually has a thicker outer veneer than veneer core.

Ditto. I've been using the MDF core for a couple of years now.

Flat panels can certainly be specified by a customer. Cheaper or more Expensive is up to them. A custom shop is beholden to build what a customer *wants* and *will pay for*.

That being said, I smile when I see well executed, solid wood, raised panel doors, whether the field is on the front, or on the back to let a thick, stable panel into the rail/stile groove.

I tend to frown at doors which exhibit thin *rotary-cut* ply panels with a *C* or *D* face on the back, with all its open knots, delaminations, and nasty discoloration.

Although the notion of *quality* can include flat panels in cabinet doors, IMO it is the exception rather than the rule. (especially for those of us who actually know the difference)

Umm....Is there any such thing as a *quality* MDF CNC-produced door, with catalized, white finish? They are included in new homes costing over $250,000. Hmm...
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 11-25-2009 at 3:23 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Although the notion of *quality* can include flat panels in cabinet doors, IMO it is the exception rather than the rule. (especially for those of us who actually know the difference)
    Chip,

If you mean flat, commercially purchased plywood panels, I'd largely agree with you. But a well-chosen solid wood, or shop-veneered, flat panel is as legitimate for high-end work as a raised panel; it's just a different look (not so "colonial"). Particularly when paired with bolection molding, they can look great and every bit as decorative as any other frame and panel scheme. IMO.

Gorgeous pomelle sapele doors, Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gleave View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and thought I would jump in.
    For shaker style doors, or the flat panel look, I like to use a 1/4" substrate.
    I veneer both sides with either the same species or a contrasting one .

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Chip,

If you mean flat, commercially purchased plywood panels, I'd largely agree with you. But a well-chosen solid wood, or shop-veneered, flat panel is as legitimate for high-end work as a raised panel; it's just a different look (not so "colonial"). Particularly when paired with bolection molding, they can look great and every bit as decorative as any other frame and panel scheme. IMO.
    i agree with that as well, it's a preference, and not necessarily lesser than a raised panel.

either way, yeah, that's why they have motorized gates with drowsy old security guards and homeowner's associations chip. they can't sell architecture and quality when it's all made out of plastic and looks the same, hence they must sell something else .