Thread: Grizzly Baby Sander Question

Grizzly Baby Sander Question

I did the search thing and called the 800 number but it is Sunday and I'm getting a machine.
    I'm in need to know what and if any sandpaper comes with the sander. I can't seem to find it anywhere today and I'm hoping to get it ordered today because I have an urgent need for it soon.
    It has been years since I've ordered any heavy stuff from Grizzly and was wondering about how fast they get orders out the door. I realize that they have little control over the freight companies but just how fast Grizzly gets the product to the shipper.

In my experience with Grizzy, they ship fast. The exception would be, of course, back ordered items. The two large machines that I've ordered from them were both delivered within 4 days, IIRC.

Sorry, I can't help you with the other part of your question.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I ordered a G0453 15" Planer a couple of weeks ago. I made the call @8:00 AM (versus ordering online) because I needed to use a discount code. Imagine my surprise when I got a call about 7:00AM the NEXT day from UPS Freight, telling me it was in town and asking when they could deliver it. Assuming they have it in stock in Muncy, PA, you might just have the same good fortune. In fact, you're about half the distance from Muncy as I am.

In looking at the online manual, pg. 10 (Inventory) makes no reference to the inclusion of consumables (paper), though it does mention that it uses 3" hook-and-loop tape (which Grizzly sells).

I have this sander. I comes ready to run with paper installed. Great machine.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by "Gary Smith" View Post
    I did the search thing and called the 800 number but it is Sunday and I'm getting a machine.
    I'm in need to know what and if any sandpaper comes with the sander. I can't seem to find it anywhere today and I'm hoping to get it ordered today because I have an urgent need for it soon.
    It has been years since I've ordered any heavy stuff from Grizzly and was wondering about how fast they get orders out the door. I realize that they have little control over the freight companies but just how fast Grizzly gets the product to the shipper.
    Ordering online tonight isn't going to be any different than calling them tomorrow morning and ordering. Nobody is around on a sunday and nothing ships anyway as far as I know.

Grizzly Baby Sander

I assume that you are referring to the G0549 12" Baby Drum Sander. I've been looking at this too. Does anybody know how well it works? Does it sand even and flat? How is the conveyor tracking? Is the 1/10 HP conveyor motor and the 1-1/2 HP drum motor powerful enough for rough sanding? Jim Finn, what is your detailed impression of the sander, sine you have one?

As for Grizzly shipping, I ordered the Go514x2 bandsaw and it came in four days. No damage. Ordered liftgate delivery service for an extra $25 and the driver used his pallet jack and wheeled it right into my shop, where I wanted it.
    I would say that Grizzly is one of the fastest with delivery of in stock machinery. Their 'crates', if you can call them that, are pretty flimsy. Some have had issues with damage during shipping, so if you get something delivered, make sure to inspect for damage before the driver leaves. Mark any packaging damage on the Bill of Lading before you sign off. If you find damage to the machine after unpacking, call Grizzly right away. They are great at rectifying damage issues.
    Last edited by Michael Heffernan; 11-22-2009 at 9:33 PM. Reason: spelling

I have this baby drum and I LOVE IT!! It is a great tool. I use mine a lot for face frames and stuff. I does keep things pretty even. Dont try to take off too much though. I usually keep mine at a pretty slow feed rate to help it out. Make sure that it is the only thing running on the circuit that it is on because it is a pig for electricity. That or there is something wrong with my switch. Also, make sure that you have some kind of dust collection hooked up because it make a lot of dust very quickly. Before I got my DC, I used my Ridgid shop-vac and it worked pretty good. Just ran the 2" hose up to DC port and tapped it to it. Enjoy the tool.. I do..

CHuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I have this baby drum and I LOVE IT!! It is a great tool. I use mine a lot for face frames and stuff. I does keep things pretty even. Dont try to take off too much though. I usually keep mine at a pretty slow feed rate to help it out. Make sure that it is the only thing running on the circuit that it is on because it is a pig for electricity. That or there is something wrong with my switch. Also, make sure that you have some kind of dust collection hooked up because it make a lot of dust very quickly. //////////////////I used my Ridgid shop-vac and it worked pretty good. Just ran the 2" hose up to DC port and tapped it to it. Enjoy the tool.. I do..

CHuck
    I have had the same experience exactly. Changing the paper is simple too, if you keep the original sandpaper to use as a pattern. It is slow going but does a nice job. The feed belt works well and is vairable speed.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214