Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roughing Gouge

Roughing Gouge

What Would be the best size roughing gouge for turnning pens PAUL L

I've been using my 3/4" Sorby lately with success.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Paul,

Like Brian I use my standard 3/4" Sorby but......

my favorite tool for pens is a skew.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

any size will work provided it is sharp. However, I'm with Ken and prefer a skew

The skew is one tool I need more practice with. I mostly use mine as a neg rake scaper.
    Ahh, oneday.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I use a one inch roughing gouge but agree that any size will work if sharp. I would go big rather that small... Longer cutting edge means more sharp edge available between sharpenings.

I would use a 3/4" but since the skew is my favorite tool that is what I use.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have only one ever used a 1" roughing gouge for pens, but that's probably because its the only size I have....

I actually started making pens that way but have evolved to using a Thompson 5/8" spindle gouge. Keep it sharp and it works great with all of the mass behind it. His 1/2" also works well.

After roughing it down I always use either a 1/2" or 3/4" oval skew.

i have the big sorby - fella at woodcraft, when i bought it, said, 'that's a versatile gouge, you'll use that to turn pens' - he was right, i do.

Mike, So how big is big? 1-1/4"?

ron, yes, it's the 1 1/4".

I have the 1 1/4" P+N roughing gouge, and have used it for roughing pens. There is no need for a smaller roughing gouge, nothing you can do with a small one that you can't do with a big one. Less sharpening, longer edges, bigger bites, more mass, and only one space on the rack. The skew is not so difficult to use on pens, the tricky part is rolling beads and such, and I think after a few frustrating hours, I'm finally getting the hang of that aspect.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 11-22-2009 at 4:12 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks all i guess i'll stick with my 3/4 gouge.

Size is not as critical in selecting a SRG as how it is made. Go with the P&N (bottom in picture), it has a half inch round shank, which is much stronger than the tapered tang of forged method SRG. The top is the Thompson, it is an overkill for pens. Mark St. Leger has a 5/8" SRG in A-11 steel, I have not tried that one.
    Gordon

My Sorby rough out gouges have a pretty small tangs too, but they are long enough that the stresses are not near the handle usually.