Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least Needed Tool

Least Needed Tool

At least for now, the least needed tool I have seen is for sale at Home Depot.
    The Ryobi Auto Hammer!

It is an $89 tool that you push on a nail and it hits the nail over and over.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...r%20Img%20-D25

Let's see if you can top that for the "Least Needed Tool"!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The autohammer should be great for hitting your thumb about ten times before you could get your finger off the trigger.
    And now for something completely different....

Yeah I saw that one too

I saw a guy at Home D pick it up and wonder how it worked, so he presses on the head and gets a good 10 wacks on the thumb before pulling back fast enough, I would have laughed but I did the same thing with the one at Sears hurts a bit.

Another gimmick for the masses.

I'll disagree with you guys on that one.

I've been in a couple of situations where I needed to nail something but could not get a hammer on it and get any kind of a swing.

That "Auto Hammer" might be the type of tool that might not have many practical uses but once in a while it comes in handy.....

..........similar to say a rotohammer. Once in a while at work I need to drill a hole in concrete. I don't find many uses for a roto-hammer but periodically I go to a rental center and pay the bucks. Once I wanted to replace a rusted out galvanized metal shower in the bathroom in our basement. Of course the drain came up through the concrete. The distance from the drain to the walls....well you can't get shower stalls that small or perfectly located anymore. I spent 3 stubborn hours one evening with several chisels, a star drill and various sledge hammers. I finally punched a single hole through the 40 year old concrete. The next day I rented a roto-hammer and 20 minutes later I had a 6" by 24" trench cut to move that drain to a new position for a new, larger tiled shower.

Some tools....don't have many opportunities to use them but when you need them.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

One World Technologies makes tools that carry the Craftsman and Ryobi brands, so not surprising that 2 "companies" are offering the same thing.
    Definitely seems like a gimmick, but could you justify its usefulness for driving a nail in a tight space? Like where you would use a right angle drill?

I work as an engineer in a consumer goods company. I often feel like we will make anything as long as there's someone to buy it. Doesn't matter how useful or good it is. How about this for a lease useful kitchen tool? http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-G.../dp/B0024M7JH4

The one I liked was the electric "scrubber" that was a hot item a few years ago. My wife bought one for herself and several for family members' Christmas presents. I am not sure if I will see one used in my life time. Haven't so far.

She makes the same claim about my woodworking tools BTW!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It doesn't seem all that long ago when I was saying...

"Why in the world would anybody want to have a car phone???"

Today's novelties are tomorrow's necessities.

I have a version of that, that is air driven. Little tiny palm nailer its called. You would not beleive how many times on a job site I have used it. nailing between studs? No problem anymore.

Over head in a cramped space? Not a problem anymore. It has a lot of uses, dont know how much I would use the bat. version though...

The air driven is a powerfull little nailer..

Now the tight spaces application makes some sense. Also one woman with arthritis commented on the Home Depot website that it really helped her. She couldn't turn her wrist for swinging a hammer any more.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

If I was still wiring homes full time I would probably buy one. I needed to nail boxes or wire staples in confined spaces so often that I can use the side of my hammer as effictively as the head but without the force.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    ..."Why in the world would anybody want to have a car phone???"...
    I'm still saying it!

One of the things I enjoy most about retirement is not being tied to that *&()*&$#$ telephone. No way will I have a phone in my car or in my pocket!!!
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I've seen the auto hammer advertised, but I hadn't realized it actually "hammered" the nail in. I have used a drill motor loaded with a finishing nail and drilled it in to a board (which works BTW). I guess I can see where this thing could be valuable in places where you can't swing a hammer.

I'll disagree with you guys on that one.

I've been in a couple of situations where I needed to nail something but could not get a hammer on it and get any kind of a swing.

That "Auto Hammer" might be the type of tool that might not have many practical uses but once in a while it comes in handy.....
    I'll second that one!!!

I can think of a whole bunch of places that would come in handy. But it would look pretty silly if you were using it for every day hammering.

I can think of a few " non- woodworking " applications..

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post
    If I was still wiring homes full time I would probably buy one. I needed to nail boxes or wire staples in confined spaces so often that I can use the side of my hammer as effictively as the head but without the force.
    And I thought that's what kleins were for.
    Walk fast and look worried.