PB183089.jpgGreat deal of the day!
    I have decided to sell my Epilog.
    As is. See Pictures.
    first come first served.
    Anyone?......anyone?....

WoW! Sorry to see that. What happened?
    Epilog Helix 45W w/Rotary, Corel 12, PhotoGrav

OUCH!!

Here is some fire related advice from our laser instructions... and some others.

NEVER LEAVE THE ROOM WHILE THE LASER IS RUNNING!!!
    If there is any indication of trouble, press Pause or Open the door, IMMEDIATELY! Remember, there is a FIRE
    EXTINGUISHER behind you!
    If the laser starts on fire (and they do) and you were not in the room, there will be HTP!!!

�� If any material or settings produce a prolonged flame during cutting, stop the machine
    immediately by pressing the “STOP” button on the machines panel. Either the material is unsafe
    for cutting or the power settings are too high. If you don’t know, ask for assistance. Continuing to
    run the machine causes damage for which you will be liable.

If ever you need to leave the room, make sure to push the pause button, we
    don!t want you to start a fire! NEVER EVER LEAVE A MACHINE
    UNATTENDED. Privileges can be revoked!
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 11-18-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Thought I would get an early jump on Christmas gifts.
    Was cutting the 19 pt acrylic snowflakes and nature called.
    Lesson was read over and over on here never to leave your laser while running.
    Well, lesson learned. Even 3 minutes was way too long.
    Spendy lesson.
    Insurance says it's not covered because it was a business even though it was out of my garage and I haven't made any money at it. No bank account was ever created because most of what I did was gifts to get my name out there, and practice.
    What a kick in the pants.
    Last edited by Dean Strickland; 11-19-2009 at 12:22 AM.

I know.
    And how many times have I read that on here and how many of these snowflakes have I cut before?
    Same material same setting, same everything, only thiis time I left for a few short minutes.
    Never a problem while I am sitting here. But that is exactly why you stay here, because then it will be uneventful.
    Still kicking myself

Sorry....

So sorry to hear/see your situation.

So thankful/blessed that no one was hurt and it appears the garage is still in tact.
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Gee, no offers yet?

MOST of the garage is still intact.
    The demolition team is coming tomorrow to start tearing it apart and repairing.

Wow. My deepest sympathies, Dean. I'm glad you and (most) of the house are okay.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

I feel for you!!! Wow. That is horrible.

I also hope the admin doesn't move this thread because it is a brutal reminder for all of us to use safe practices. Don't leave a running machine unattended. Chit happens.

Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I did't think snowflakes could burn, i did fry one last year but caught it in time.
    Must be the Minnesota Snow that burns so easy

Bruce
    Accuris 30 watt laser, x3 corel

That's why

That is the main reason I posted this - as a reminder to all.
    Like I said, I have made many of these and while at the machine, no issues.
    Walk away and the Fire Fairies will attack.
    I'm glad it was just a quick 3 minute nature call, but I could not believe how fast everything went up.
    I have been a Creeker since I got my laser about 2-1/2 years ago and everyone here is absolutely the best class of people around.
    I never had much to contribute but learned much from all of you and I thank you all for that.
    Now I guess this is my greatest contribution to the Creek as a stark reminder to all that it happens and it can happen so very fast.
    Thanks to all for everything. I have another couple of years to pay this one off and then I will look at getting another one, Lord willing. But until then I will continue to support the Creek who knows what the future may bring...

Wow

All I can think when I look at your photos is "Oh my goodness ! Unbelieable ! "
    I feel very badly for you. What a crying shame...I am thankful no one was hurt.
    Thank you for reminding us how important it is to stand by your machine while operating.

I really sympathise with you on this misfortune...a double whammy , the fire and the insurance repudiation.

Perhaps you might be lucky and find some of the parts are salvageable , like the tube or some of the hard parts like rails and so forth.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Dean...i feel so sorry for you. Thanks god you have no major damage at home.

Maybe a stupid question but....you were using airassist while cutting right ?
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

Jeepers Dean, bad luck old boy, really sorry this has happened to you. It is very sad evidence that you can't turn your back on the machine when cutting. We've probably all done it at some time.

I too am curious about the air assist, was it in use? I was recently making a box for one of my clients and I had the piece covered with transfer tape to stop burning on the surface of the wood. I noticed that there was a small fire trail moving along as it cut, which was really troubling me, enough that I never actually left the machine even to get a cigarette. When the job finished I switched off the laser, also the air extract, but not the air assist. It wasn't working.

On examination of my compressor, which is outside my cabin in a specially made concrete outer building, the air intake which is a very very fine mesh, was all clogged. It meant that the compressor was working hard but not being able to intake the air made it useless. I tried cleaning it and putting it back. It was fine for a while but then clogged within a week.

Finally I removed the mesh cover and this vastly improved performance but within a short time I noticed I was getting the burning trail again. I could hear the compressor, removal of the hose just where it enters showed loads of pressure, but inside at the lens, nothing! Anyway I removed the right hand panel of my Helix, the next push in valve had pushed out. I pushed it back, no difference and it occured to me that the only reason it could have pushed out was from a blockage further along the air line. Epilog's machines are really very easy for doing your own maintenance (that's an opinion not a sales pitch), there are about three small screws holding the air hose in position from entering the machine casing.

My check lead me all the way to the long spirally tube which runs along the xy with the laser head. A firm blow through the system cleared whatever was causing the problem. I suspect it was something that had got into the hose when it got blocked the first time, but I can't be sure. I was actually amazed at how much pressure gets forced through the small pipe and I can only put that down to the tube being much narrower than the supply hose going into the laser.

So when I turn on the air assist now, there is a very visible hiss as the air pours through down onto the work area, in fact I would say it is much more noticeable than it has ever been. Maybe the blockage was in there when I first got the machine, I can't be positive, but cutting now there is definitely no fire trail.

I'm sorry Dean, it doesn't help your situation, but it may help other engravers. If I get a good one on the lotto, I'll sort you out mate.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender