Thread: New Veritas Shoulder Plane

New Veritas Shoulder Plane

Has anyone else seen this miniature shoulder plane in the Lee Valley christmas catalog. Do you think it would be a useful tool? Or more of a gimic. I love my medium shoulder plane for all sorts of chores. Not sure if this one would come in handy.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...00&cat=1,41182

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Do you think it would be a useful tool? Or more of a gimic.
    The answer to both questions is yes! It is a cute little gimic, but the thing is sharp, and actually pulls a very clean curly!

I have not yet had a use for mine, but it is one of those tools that will probably work when nothing else would. I think the most probable situation would be where one was inclined to take a chisel, bevel down, and try to clean up a small area. This plane is likely to do that without as much risk of pulling up a tear out.

I bought it but am pretty disappointed. They described it accurately, but it is SMALL. I doubt if I can use it anywhere, except maybe to give it as a gift to another woodworker.

I couldn't recommend it to anyone for actual use.

The double ended marking gauge, on the other hand, appears to be something I'll use. When making half blind dovetails, I use two marking gauges, one of the thickness of the wood, and the other for the depth of the tail into the other piece. This will allow me to do it with this one tool.

Mike

[They had a special on earlier for the (extremely) small shoulder plane and the double ended marking gauge.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yep got it. Keep it on my desk at work along with a piece of mahogany and make a few shavings once in awhile to relax. It is really sharp and can take shavings about as thin as its bigger brothers.

Robin Lee had one at the seminar he gave last weekend, it's smaller than a box of matches.

It would be one of those tools that does one job very well, and the marking gauge is a useful size.

I think I'll put it on my Xmas wish list.............Rod.

I have one too, and have been wondering just what job it would be well suited for.

What about dados and rabbets on small drawers?

I played with it at a woodworking show. Lot's of fun to look at. Too small to want one.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    Yep got it. Keep it on my desk at work along with a piece of mahogany and make a few shavings once in awhile to relax. It is really sharp and can take shavings about as thin as its bigger brothers.
    Sometimes when I'm lazy, I do locked dados for drawers and use a 1/4 dado. This would clean out the bottom of those, but I like your idea much better and will do the same - tomorrow. Great desk toy.

You guys must not use violin planes if you think that plane is too small!