Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Heaters & Fire Risk

I have a slide-in ac unit with electric strip for heat. I have been using one (on #3) for almost 20 years in my 16x20 shop. I keep the stock filter clean and I also built a box over the face that houses a pleated filter that I clean and change often. So far, so good. I will note that the first time I use it each season, I do get a faint whiff of burnt wood smell. Oh, I also clean the unit at least once a year inside and out. I also blow the vac the coils that are behind the filter now and then. Anyway, that has worked for me.

Tony - almost time to take the unit out and give it a bath in time for the warm weather...if it ever gets here!

As said above, always, on any multi hour plugged in high load device, typically often heaters, FEEL the plug and outlet AFTER a few hours running.

Monitor it occasionally... and always again a few hours if plugged into a different outlet.

They will be always SLIGHTLY warm... normal... but should NEVER be HOT, or even close to Hot.

Any imperfect connection such as not fully TIGHT screw terminals, plug prongs in the female slots,etc, will have some resistance, so with current flow, will have a voltage drop, hence wattage at that point.

Of course, wire needs to be sized appropriately.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 03-19-2018 at 8:12 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me