Thread: Laguna LT18-1993 Vintage Question...

Laguna LT18-1993 Vintage Question...

Going to look at a Laguna LT18 Bandsaw owned by a hobby woodworker. What should I look for when inspecting the machine? What differences would there be in a 1993 vintage versus todays version of the LT18? I want it as a dedicated resaw to compliment my Powermatic PM14 bandsaw. Also, what is a fair asking price? Any suggestions welcomed.

Hello Wayne ... I have a current model and from what I can see, the differences are minor. I would suggest that you look for the typical machine problem areas ... bearings, motor, overall structure, etc. Laguna makes a rather stable machine. You will probably find no major problems. I hope this helps a little. Take care .. Bill

I have an LT-18 2002 vintage. I suspect the one you are looking at is similar to mine. Major differences between that model and the current are:
    1) New model has ceramic guides, older one has euro- guides
    2) Resaw height - the one you are looking at is about 12". New model is 18".
    3) Motor HP - the used one is probably about 3hp. Newer ones are larger for the additional resaw height.
    4) Motor make - the used one is an Italian made motor, new models are Baldor
    5) Table tilt mechanism - the used one has a bolt to loosen under the table and you tilt manually. The newer models have a rack and pinion type arrangement for table tilt.

Asking price depends on condition and the local market. Likely the price is around $1200.

Were the Laguna saws in 1993 as well thought of as the ones now? Reliability, ability to resaw well, etc? What if I were to need parts? Should I be thinking a new Grizzly for about the same money?

Make note that the motor is rated at 40 amps, 80 hz. I verified that with the seller, who took the info off the sticker on the motor. I'm no electrician - can anyone explain who would use 80 hz motors? And doesn't that sound like a lot of juice for the motor?

I was figuring he might be in error on that...It does sound odd. I have just got one reply from him. I was going to ask him to double check that also.

Probably 50 hertz, which could look like an "80" if the plate is dirty.

Regards, Rod.

What Steve said. I have owned a LT18 since 2001 and love it. Mine is the model with the original Euro guides and 12" resaw height. I have since made the upgrade to ceramic guides & use a Resaw King blade for the resaw duties.
    These machines are built like a tank and should not have many issues; the overall look and condition of the sellers shop will tell you a lot. Contact Laguna for any needed parts; they probably have ceramic guides for this machine as well. I would offer somewhere around $1K for a machine of this age. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Just got a few pics of the guides and motor plate....
    Any comments or suggestions, I'm new to bandsaws!

Wayne, looks like a good buy, 3HP motor, nice saw.

Why are you still yakking on the forum instead of driving over with cash in hand?

Regards, Rod.

Just wanting to make sure I would be satisfied with the saw. And the questions on the motor stumped me, the age, availability of parts,etc. I could get a new Grizzly for a little more.This should be a solid saw. Wonder if I can transport it 4 hours in a 4'X8' trailer?
    Would this machine require one of my 40Amp dedicated breakers? Should I expect good resawing, etc. Will 12" resaw be enough? etc?

Yep-reviving an 8 year old thread as an LTL, first time poster.

I am pretty sure I have this same saw and I think my motor may have gone south on me tonight. Ill be exploring more in depth tomorrow. I have been considering replacing the motor with a more powerful one for a while, as i tend to rip a lot of of 6x and 8x doug fir with it. Does anyone know if the Leeson motor above bolts on to my saw? I did a search on the internet and also spoke to Laguna, though I did not get a good answer (In all fairness, this was a while ago and I may not have asked that exact correct question.)
    IMG_4958.jpgIMG_4959.jpgIMG_4970.jpg

Hey there, I just picked up an ‘93 LT18 myself. However, in the shuffle, the owners manual go lost, do you happen to have one? A scan of that would be a life saver.

Hi Mike, welcome. I don't have a manual, but then, its a pretty simple machine.

As an update to my last post a year ago, it turned out that the plastic cover (in the second pic) got pushed in against the motor fan, making a horrendous noise and not letting the motor turn (I suspect my sons basketball). Figured it out right after the last post. Machine runs great and has a 3/4" resaw king on it...use it all of the time. Enjoy! Does yours have the same two-tone, early 90s color scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rantz View Post
    Hey there, I just picked up an ‘93 LT18 myself. However, in the shuffle, the owners manual go lost, do you happen to have one? A scan of that would be a life saver.
    If you have any questions you can't solve just make a new thread and ask them. You will likely get answers.

For a generic bandsaw guide you can't beat Duginske's book: https://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-...E6WJNP21MND3JC
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.