Thread: Help with replacing bearings on Delta DC 380 Planer

Help with replacing bearings on Delta DC 380 Planer

Can any help me with how to replace the bearings on my planer? A while back I had seen a thread that detailed this, but I can't seem to find it now. Also does anyone know the replacement bearing #'s so I don't have to buy them from delta.

Bob,

You'll need a pair of bearing pullers, they have 3 claws on a shaft and as you turn the shaft the bearing will come off. Go to OWWM.org and theres lots of info on doing this.

Once you get the bearing off call Lynne Scott at Accurate Bearing and tell her your one of the woodworkers. She'll set you up and the bearings will be much cheaper than Delta and you'll get them in a day or two.

I've ordered from her and shes great.

Good luck

Dc-380 planer bearings and oil seals

Robert,

I can write you some "instructions" on how to change the bearings. It's not difficult. Just for curiosity, why are you changing the bearings? Are they squealing? Here's the part numbers: Cutter head large bearing on the belt end is a 6205ZZ cost $5.26, cutter head smaller bearing on the transmission end is a 6204ZZ cost $4.62, some if not all transmission bearings are 6201ZZ, cost $3.12. Make sure you tell your supplier that they are going in a planer. They may try to sell you motor bearings. Motor bearings don't seem to be as tough (since most motors turn 1750 or 3500 rpm). The correct part numbers are listed above. The ZZ designates a metal shielded bearing. Also the two oil seals are: 20x35x7 and the 2nd is a 25x40x10x5. All the parts on this planer are metric. If I type up some instructions in Microsoft Word can everybody read them?

That's interesting. I was shopping today for new bearings for a Shelix cutterhead installation on my new Griz G0453. The manual's parts list calls for 6204ZZ and 6205ZZ (metal, as you stated), but the originals are actually 6204/05RZ (rubber).

Would the ZZ's be considered an upgrade? I returned them and replaced them with the RZs (and they were a LOT more than $5ish - more like $15 - $18 at NAPA).

Thanks Wayne I already have the bearings off. I bought this planer used and it seemed a little loud so I decided to change the gear oil and low and behold there was water in the gearbox, and the motor bearings are making noise. So to play it safe I'm replacing the bearings. Delta wants $20 ea. for the 5 bearings and $35 for the larger bearing. seema way too high