Thread: Breathing new life into my cheap bar clamps

Breathing new life into my cheap bar clamps

I've been using these cheap bar clamps for several years and have been frustrated by something. The handles are too small and difficult for me to grip comfortably, and my wrist strength isn't what it used to be, so I'm unable to get good tight clamping pressure without pain. Because of this, I've been ready to make the expensive leap into a set of excellent clamps but the price scares me, and I already have loads of these cheap guys.

It occurred to me that I could quickly and easily retrofit all of my cheap clamps for a couple of dollars. 30 minutes and about $8 (total cost) later, I've completed all of them, and they now work fantastically! Plenty of clamping strength now - with minimal wrist/arm strain.

What I did:

1) Cut some 1/4" round brass stock into approx 6" pieces and bevel the sharp edges with some 120-grit sandpaper
    2) Carefully drill a 15/64" hole in the center of a clamp handle
    3) Tap the brass piece into the clamp handle so that it's centered - it's a tight enough fit so that it won't wiggle out, but loose enough that it can be repositioned or removed completely with a couple of taps.

That's it. Now, I can use my new brass "T-handle" to get a comfortable, very strong grip on most anything with no strain or discomfort. They look better and perform better than they ever have! They're not fancy brand new parallel clamps, and never will be, but all of a sudden, I don't feel like chucking them out the shop door each time I pick them up. Cheap they will stay, and they still don't have the strength to take on a big panel glue-up or anything, but they're actually almost respectable now.

Probably old news to some of you guys, but it's saving me a bundle in new clamps for the time being.
    Attached Images Attached Images

why not work the very ends of the handles down to a square and cut a corresponding square mortice into a piece of hardwood, for a slip on slip off handle that will fit all your clamp handles. FWIW
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Good call on the T handles

It never ceases to amaze me how those in our craft can be so resourceful. I've always been fond of re purposing junk to a better cause, or as in this case, modifying for a better performance.

Job well done

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    why not work the very ends of the handles down to a square and cut a corresponding square mortice into a piece of hardwood, for a slip on slip off handle that will fit all your clamp handles. FWIW
    You know...that's not a bad idea at all. Of course, I'll need some nice hardwood. And probably some nice sharp chisels. And, most likely, a new/sharp table saw blade. And, probably, knowing me, a new router bit for the edges to pretty them up. And, I'm guessing, a good stable new mortiser and a full complement of nice bits for those funky square holes. Expensive, but just Think of the savings over the cost of new clamps!

(One could, of course, do the whole thing with scrap and a chisel in a couple of minutes, but...I like this "new tool prospect" idea.)

I like the way you think, Harry.