Thread: Bed Design (Drawers) Question

Bed Design (Drawers) Question

This is something that's been on my To-Do list for years but I never seem to get to it. I think this is going to be the next big task I take on. I've seen numerous threads over the years as to whether beds do/dont need box springs and I'm pretty well convinced I dont need them but here's my question:
    What's the downside of building storage drawers in the lower area where box springs would normally go?

If it turns out I decide not to go that route, then it seems like just going with box springs would be simpler. Things I'm wondering about with the storage drawers if you've got them are:
    - How much do you really use them given that you need to flip all the bedding back in order to access them?
    - Do they make for a noisier bed? More creakin/squeakin? Adding large resonance cavities that might amplify those noises?
    - I prefer to have my bed on casters so any drawers would be suspended rather than a carcass resting on the floor with the bed above. I'm guessing extra drawers and contents might be equivalent to having an extra person in the bed so I dont think weight should be a real problem, but I throw it out there in case someone's got an opinion otherwise.
    - How much harder is it to get the cat out from under the bed when he knows you're going to stuff him in the carrier for a trip to the vet?
    Use the fence Luke

There is no downside to having drawers below the mattress. None.

The bed clothes don't need to drape down in front of the drawers. I use sheets and blankets that are one size narrower than usual -- for instance double-bed size on a queen mattress. I can tuck them in on the sides, but they naturally drape to roughly the bottom of the mattress, which is the top of the drawers.

Presuming you build it solidly, there's no noise from the drawers.

Yes, there will be some extra weight from the drawers and the contents. But I can't see that'd be an issue.

In the beds I've built, there's no space for the cat to climb into. The drawers get down to an inch or so above the floor. There's no sideways space between them either.

Blog Entries
    We have exactly what you are describing for our bed (sorry I don't have photos). You will need to build a platform for the mattress like that used for a water bed and build the drawers under it. Our queen size bed has two large drawers on each side for storing off season clothing. The drawers are about 36 wide x 24-30 deep x about 9 high. We've had this bed frame for nearly 30 years with no issues. I have an interior frame made of 3/4" plywood standing on edge and a sheet of 1/4" ply over that to support the mattress.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute