Thread: Got myself into a jam (and it wasn't a chuck) and could use some advice

Got myself into a jam (and it wasn't a chuck) and could use some advice

We have a local paper that comes out quarterly that did an issue on local artists/craftsmen and I was in it. As a result a couple read about me and came by and talked to my wife. They had a piece of wood and after looking at the many bowls around the house, left the wood asking me to make some bowls. When I got home I found that the wood was a piece of cherry that was 24" in diameter, but unfortunately only about 6" thick, and badly checked. I called the owner of the wood to explain about face grain and bowl making and he said the wood came from a tree of a deceased neighbor and friend, and they really wanted something made to remember him by. I told him I could maybe get some boxes out of it. As I got into the wood I found that it was in really bad shape, it seemed like it was dry rotted. If it had been my wood, it would have made a good fire starter, but as I promised to do my best, here is what I got out of it, 3 boxes, and since they really wanted a candy dish, I made my first end grain bowl. I had a lot of trouble with end grain and cracks, of the coxes, only the small box does not have fixed cracks, and I couldn't get the inside bottom of the bowl completely clean even though I tried several means of fortifying the wood (epoxy cocktail ala Bernie Weishapl), and wood hardener. It seemed that the wood would just flake off.

I'm not really satisfied with the results so I thought I should offer them back to the owner with no charge and chalk it up to experience. What would you all do in this circumstance?

Since I started on them he had 4 good pieces of walnut delivered to me that are of sufficient size to make him some bowls. They guy that delivered the walnut for him said the cherry had been cut 3 years ago and has been sitting in the woods ever since.

Thanks for looking and sorry about the long post.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steven carter; 11-11-2009 at 9:27 PM.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Steve - very nice work on what had to be some very hard wood to work with!

I think this would be a great time to just offer the pieces to the folks who had requested the work. I know you put in a lot of time with everything but all that pales to their memories of their friend. This is one of those times where it may come back to you in the form of verbal references or loyal customers ... or not at all. You learned something about dealing with wood and it sounds like you already have a good grasp on how to deal with people seeking remembrances.

Good luck with your decision. Very nice work by the way! Appreciate your sharing the adventure!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think I would just let them know you did the best you could with a rotted piece of wood. They have seen and admired your work so I'm sure they will take the "experts's" (you) word for it. Your pieces look good even if the wood was sorry to start with. They will be leaving with something better than they walked in with...Bill..

Memories are what they are after, not form or function. I personally would give them to them as is. Explain the fact that you would have liked them to be better and the reasons why you feel in your mind that they are not.

In their mind I would bet they are perfect and will cherish them forever. That wood came from a close and dear friend, some of him is still in that wood and that is how he wanted them to be made.

Offer the bows they want at a reduced price and let them know that the discount would be your pleasure to make them. It will pay off 10 fold in the long run.

Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by William Bolen View Post
    I think I would just let them know you did the best you could with a rotted piece of wood. They have seen and admired your work so I'm sure they will take the "experts's" (you) word for it. Your pieces look good even if the wood was sorry to start with. They will be leaving with something better than they walked in with...Bill..
    100% on what Bill said.
    I don't think I would charge them, but then again I did not go to the trouble to make these lasting memories either.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

The joy of giving is out of this world. What goes around comes around...

What everyone else said. Although from the pictures you did quite a bit with what you had to work with. I believe that you are the only one that can really determine what you should do. Probably let what you want to do in the future guide your thoughts and decisions.

Those are some nice looking pieces. I agree and would give them the pieces and explain it was extremely hard to work with but did the best you could. I am sure they will be pleased.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree, I would give them the pieces for free and let them enjoy the memories of their friend.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

I would definitely give them the pieces for free. They will most likely be completely happy with them anyway, but even more so if they are a gift with the explanation that you did what you could with the wood you were given. Use some of that good walnut to make them some great bowls like they originally wanted. Just be ready when all of their friends start showing up for bowls too.

steven, i think (from what the photos show, anyway) the pieces are quite nice. remember, those folks came to you, and you put in some hard work and time to make those items. i think you could take full price for them, with your explanation, or offer them at a reduced price. but for free i think you would be cheating yourself. it's not like you did a poor job on the wood. and the customer may feel awkward at taking them from you for free. mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    steven, i think (from what the photos show, anyway) the pieces are quite nice. remember, those folks came to you, and you put in some hard work and time to make those items. i think you could take full price for them, with your explanation, or offer them at a reduced price. but for free i think you would be cheating yourself. it's not like you did a poor job on the wood. and the customer may feel awkward at taking them from you for free. mike
    I agree, you went to the trouble of telling them before you really started that good results were unlikely (and you DID manage to get some nice looking pieces).
    I understand your feelings about only offering your best work, but this IS the best you could do with the wood that you had. You could tell them what you would normally charge, if you had used fresher wood and let them pay what seems fair to them. Remember, even after you warned them about the condition of the wood, they still wanted you to do the work.
    Change One Thing