Thread: Steel top for a Kitchen rolling table?

Steel top for a Kitchen rolling table?

I'm trying to build a kitchen cart to house an Espresso machine and a coffee grinder and would like to use a steel top. Something like this (not necessarily the same design):

http://www.ekitchenislands.com/islan...chenisland.cfm

Where does one go to find a steel top like that?

Thanks!
    Anil

If you need a certain size you could check with a metal fabricating shop. I once had a huge stainless top mad for a storage box on a deck. It stored the cushions for the patio furiture so it would stay dry. The stainless top was used for food prep and stuff for their cook outs.

Ikea might have some tops as well but I guess it depends on what size your are looking for.

From one coffee snob to another; I like the idea.

You might be able to find a metal-supply place in your town. Or you can buy stainless sheet on line. For instance http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=233&top_cat=1
    or
    http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...cc=%20&aident=

Local metal fabricator. If you aren't just laminating a flat sheet of stainless steel to the top, you will need to have it bent and the corners welded and ground. If you have a shear, break, welder and grinder, have at it yourself. Otherwise, look for a local metal fabricator who can take care of the whole process. You will probably get the material at a reduced cost from the fabricator because they will buy sheet and pay by the pound.

Thanks everyone for your responses. The custom fabricated steel top approach sounds a little expensive, so I might go with laminating a steel sheet and surround it with wood trim (Jamie, thanks for the link).

Anil

Quote Originally Posted by Anil Kalagatla View Post
    The custom fabricated steel top approach sounds a little expensive.

Not necessarily. A sheet metal shop buys stock by the truckload: it's MUCH cheaper that way than buying one piece at a time. Notching 4 corners, braking to 90 and running a bead down the corners should take less than an hour. If you're in a mid size town, it can't hurt to ask a couple of shops for a quote. It seems to me that shops are eager for work these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    Not necessarily. A sheet metal shop buys stock by the truckload: it's MUCH cheaper that way than buying one piece at a time. Notching 4 corners, braking to 90 and running a bead down the corners should take less than an hour. If you're in a mid size town, it can't hurt to ask a couple of shops for a quote. It seems to me that shops are eager for work these days.
    Cool, I didn't know that. I'm going to call our local metal shops first then! Thanks for that clarification.

Anil

Could you re-purpose an existing product? For instance, maybe you could find a stainless cookie sheet, and turn it upside down. Or a drip pan. Or, at worst, buy a piece of furniture with a stainless top, and scavenge it for parts. Somehow I'm thinking that a custom piece from a sheet-metal shop is going to be expensive.

+1 on getting a quote. It may cost less than you think and the project will have a professional look.

I'm sure the quote is free so it couldn't hurt to ask.

10. I know it's not necessarily our business, but if you do get a quote, it would be great to see it listed here. More information for others = very helpful!

F.Y.I.
    Just asked a friend who has a metal fab business for a quote as if I were someone who walked in off the street. I asked him to quote as follows.
    Size: 18" x 32"
    Material: Stainless Steel 18 ga. (.048")#4 finish
    Bend four sides 3/4", weld and grind four corners
    $185.00
    I'm sure other parts of the country where costs are lower the item could be had for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Fiore View Post
    F.Y.I.
    Just asked a friend who has a metal fab business for a quote as if I were someone who walked in off the street. I asked him to quote as follows.
    $185.00
    I'm sure other parts of the country where costs are lower the item could be had for less.
    Thanks for checking Conrad. I was not able to do it locally due to work, but it's probably going to be in the same range here as well (I will check tomorrow). Checking at MetalsDepot, it looks like a 2'x4' sheet of 18 gauge steel is ~$45 shipped.

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...cc=%20&aident=

Anil

Try a local commercial restaurant supply store. They sell stainless steel kitchen-prep tables. I bought one years ago for a song. It came with legs and a shelf, but those are easily removed. Super heavy-duty, too.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Anil Kalagatla View Post
    I'm trying to build a kitchen cart to house an Espresso machine and a coffee grinder and would like to use a steel top. Something like this (not necessarily the same design):

http://www.ekitchenislands.com/islan...chenisland.cfm

Where does one go to find a steel top like that?

Thanks!
    Anil

Anil,
    I just checked that link and STAINLESS STEEL #4 FINISH 2'x4' is $81.60 not including the shipping. I think the price you looked up was for cold rolled steel, definitely NOT what you want to use for the counter top.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Fiore View Post
    F.Y.I.
    $185.00
    Thanks here too. That's informative. I appreciate it.