Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0596 - Industrial grinder review

Blog Entries
    I'd pay the extra money for the baldor, you're only buying it once.
    I didn't and have not regretted it. I have one Baldor product in my shop (buffer) and one Grizzly product (grinder). The Baldor motor gets very hot to the touch after prolonged use (10+ minutes). I have not had the problem with the Grizzly grinder. I'm not sure that means anything in terms of quality or longevity but it is a noticeable difference.

I've had both products for a few years and neither has had any problems.

Blog Entries
    I was curious if you could tell us how true the shaft is when running. How long does the Grinder run after you turn it off? It would be interesting to know the tolerances if you guys could measure the runout
    Jim, I just noticed this post. I'll see if I have time to measure it tonight and will add the info to the thread.

Blog Entries
    OK, I measured the arbor runout using two methods. One with the measuring base attached to the surface that the grinder base sits on & one on the tool rest. Spinning the arbor freehand I got runout less than 0.001 (accuracy of my dial meter). With the base attached to the tool rest I could not register any runout, even by yanking or pressing on the wheel and arbor (both sides). This is after using the tool for 2+ years.

Attached are a few pics showing the inside of each grinding wheel enclosure. You can see the thick support plates and 1" arbor for the grinding wheels. Sorry George, I did not want to crack open the motor case to check for insulating varnish. Since this is a metalworking tool (fine metal shavings everywhere) Grizzly may have been more prone to insulating the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Someone PM'd me about the little plastic ring next to the wheel support plates. That is for holding the wire wheel (shims / rings typically included with most wire wheel purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I didn't and have not regretted it. I have one Baldor product in my shop (buffer) and one Grizzly product (grinder). The Baldor motor gets very hot to the touch after prolonged use (10+ minutes). I have not had the problem with the Grizzly grinder. I'm not sure that means anything in terms of quality or longevity but it is a noticeable difference.

I've had both products for a few years and neither has had any problems.
    Not saying either one is better BUT I assume you know a hot motor means nothing if it is designed to run at the higher temp. It is all design and engineering decisions some make no sense to us but make sense to the manufacturer. If the Baldor fails prematurely (about 3 lifetimes outside a production environment) due to heat, then there is an issue.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

WOW! $569 delivered. Woodcraft grinder can almost be had on sale for the shipping cost.
    But the Woodcraft unit has a lot of bad reviews on vibration.

What does a comparable Baldor cost?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-24-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post

What does a comparable Baldor cost?
    Don't have an exact cost but at a minamum twice as much for a 1hp Baldor grinder.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I wondered what a Baldor would cost. I just Googled and went to a site. A 3/4 HP 1800 RPM was priced from a little over $600 to a little over $700.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have been looking ...........The Baldor that normally pops up on Google for $600 is the 3 phase -- plus shipping. The nice slow speed 110V one with the lighted wheels is around $850.00 + shipping.

We ended up taking a drive -- went out to the tent sale and then to Cabela for some items we need for an upcoming trip.

Not much going on at the sale this year -- but I picked up the 8" grinder. Very nice unit. So I paid tax -- no shipping and Grizzly was giving $30.00 off with a purchase.

Do I need to count the 20 gallons of premium ??

Bump to top old thread from 2009.

How is the Grizzly grinder holding up and did anyone figure out if their motors are dipped.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Bump to top old thread from 2009.

How is the Grizzly grinder holding up and did anyone figure out if their motors are dipped.
    Mine is still holding up just fine. I just timed how long it takes to spin down to zero after shutting it off, and it's a few seconds shy of two minutes.